This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5637 / 53°33'49"N
Longitude: -2.4432 / 2°26'35"W
OS Eastings: 370740
OS Northings: 407548
OS Grid: SD707075
Mapcode National: GBR CWC7.V7
Mapcode Global: WH97V.FPSB
Plus Code: 9C5VHH74+FP
Entry Name: Swan Lane Mills Numbers 1 and 2
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476068
Location: Bolton, BL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Great Lever
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Philip
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD70NW HIGHER SWAN LANE
797-1/4/123 (West side)
26/04/74 Swan Lane Mills Nos. 1 AND 2
Formerly known as: Cotton Mill HIGHER SWAN LANE.
Cotton spinning mills. Built in 2 phases to form a double mill
1903 and 1906. Stott and Sons of Oldham, architects. Brick
with flat concrete roof built to house reservoir, and internal
construction of cast-iron columns and brick arched ceilings.
Although the mills were built separately, they form a single
block and were built to a common style. No.1 mill (to the
west) was built in 1903, with No.2 mill added in 1906.
EXTERIOR: both mills are 5 storeys with a basement; No.1 mill
is 25x5 bays, No.2 mill 23x6 bays. Both have wide segmentally
arched windows, many blind in end walls, and some blocked in
principal elevations. Neither mill has an internal
subdivision, the processes separated by storeys, although the
end walls of both mills now form an important lateral division
separating processes. Projecting stair towers towards each end
in south wall.
Projecting double engine house to north-west. apparently built
as a double house with No.1 mill in anticipation of the
addition of No.2 mill; rope race tower projecting behind it.
Minimal decoration to both mills, comprising yellow brick
eaves band and stone dentilled cornice, with some Italianate
detail on the towers, which have balustraded parapets.
No.1 mill has single storey and basement extension to north
side, possibly originally a card room extension, but now
No.2 mill has 2 storey office block attached to the mill
adjacent to the site entrance.
Chimney with emblem of swan in white lettering (not surviving
to its full original height) adjacent to the engine houses,
and possible boiler houses alongside.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: at the time of completion of the second mill, the
complex formed the largest spinning mill in the world. In
1914, Swan Lane Mill No.3 (qv) was added to the site.
(Williams M: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester: London:
Listing NGR: SD7074007548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings