History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Osborne Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8888 / 51°53'19"N

Longitude: -2.0895 / 2°5'22"W

OS Eastings: 393935

OS Northings: 221137

OS Grid: SO939211

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.DKB

Mapcode Global: VH947.QSQG

Entry Name: Osborne Lodge

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476098

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9321SE THE PARK
630-1/21/919 (North side)
05/05/72 No.99
Osborne Lodge
(Formerly Listed as:
THE PARK
No.2
Osborne Lodge)

GV II

Villa, now flats. c1833-50 with later additions and
alterations including c1980 raising of roof, and with
extensions to right and at rear. Stucco over brick with
renewed mock slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and with attics, 5 first-floor
windows arranged 3:1:3 with 2 outer full-height bows. Stucco
detailing includes horizontal rustication to ground floor,
moulded first-floor sill band, tooled and eared architraves to
central window and those to centre of bows to first floor, all
first-floor windows with aprons. 6/6 sashes throughout, those
to bows curved on section. Flight of steps to central
entrance, double 2-fielded-panel doors with overlight with
decorative glazing bars between 3/4 engaged fluted Doric
columns in antis. Basement has 8/8 sashes. Crowning cornice on
acanthus brackets, low parapet. Right return has 3 full-height
bows. Rear has 2-storey bow to centre with Doric pilasters
forming 'colonnade', 2 outer rectangular bays; some bows
retain 6/6 sashes, curved on section.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the principal
developments influenced by White's and Nash's schemes for
Regent's Park, (1809-11) London. An interesting villa design,
distinguished by its repetitive rhythm of bowed bays.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92).


Listing NGR: SO9393921142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.