This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8884 / 51°53'18"N
Longitude: -2.0872 / 2°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 394093
OS Northings: 221100
OS Grid: SO940211
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.F49
Mapcode Global: VH947.RSXP
Entry Name: Pallas House (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education)
Listing Date: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476102
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SW THE PARK
630-1/22/923 (South side)
Pallas House (Cheltenham and
Gloucester College of Higher
Villa, now college building. c1833-50. Stucco over brick with
hipped slate roof, stucco end stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics, 3 first-floor windows. Double
depth plan with central hallway and rear, left staircase.
Outer bays break forwards. Moulded first-floor sill band.
Windows have tooled architraves, those to ground floor have
wide cornices on consoles. Outer bays have triple windows;
first floor has 1/1 sashes; ground floor has 2/2
horizontal-pane sashes. Central entrance: flight of steps to
2-rounded-panel door with sidelights and overlight and
pilastered architrave. Gabled roof dormers have 1/1 sashes. To
left return a round-arched staircase window with 2/2
round-arched, horizontal-pane sash with margin-lights.
INTERIOR: retains original plasterwork and joinery. Narrow
open-well staircase with rod-on-lotus balusters; rooms to
right have deep coving with lattice motif; hall has acanthus
modillions and fleurons. Tooled architraves to 4-panel doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: previously known as 'Easton Grey', in 1939
Pallas House was used by Cheltenham Ladies' College as
temporary wartime accommodation, and in 1946 it was purchased
by St Mary's College. The Park had been laid out by 1833 by
its owner Thomas Billings as an oval, tree-lined drive with a
central park which, for a short period in the mid-C19, became
a zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. This is one of the
principal developments influenced by White's and Nash's for
Regent's Park (1809-11), London.
Noted by Sampsom for retention of its 'particularly rich
(Sampson A: Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of HE; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271;
Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-; Sampson A
and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-:
Listing NGR: SO9409321100
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings