This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.889 / 51°53'20"N
Longitude: -2.0872 / 2°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 394093
OS Northings: 221160
OS Grid: SO940211
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.F43
Mapcode Global: VH947.RSX9
Entry Name: Longford House
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476104
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SW THE PARK
630-1/22/924 (North side)
Villa, now 2 dwellings. c1833 with later additions and
alterations including 2 extensions to rear, c1918. Stucco over
brick with hipped slate roofs, tall end stucco stacks with
cornices. Italianate style.
PLAN: double-depth with central hallway and service range to
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement with attic, 5 first-floor
windows arranged 1:3:1, the central section is raised and has
2-storey bow. Stucco detailing includes end pilasters through
ground and first floors, frieze and cornice; windows have
tooled architraves, frieze and cornices, those to ground floor
on console brackets, those to first floor have pierced
balconies; bow has pilasters between openings to ground floor
and continuous pierced balustrade to first floor. Central
entrance: 3 roll-edged steps, curved on plan to double doors
within paired pilasters and cornices; otherwise bow to ground
floor has 4/4 sashes with margin-lights. Ground floor has
outer tripartite windows, 6/6 between 2/2 sashes. First floor
has outer 6/6 sashes; bow has 3 tripartite windows with 6/6
between 2/2 sashes, and canopy. Attics have narrow casements
to outer bays and 3/6 sash to centre. Basement has 4/4 sashes.
Rear has bow to ground floor with tripartite 6/6 between 2/2
sash curved on section, otherwise 6/6 sashes and 2 tripartite
windows with 1/1 sashes.
INTERIOR: retains many original features; iron open-well
staircase has alternate stick and embellished balusters and
with wreathed handrail to each floor. Arch leading into hall
has sunk panels; mainly panelled doors. Room to rear has
embellished cornice with grape ceiling frieze; room to right
has egg-and-dart cornice and deep ceiling frieze with scroll
motif. First floor retains 2 fireplaces with circle motif.
Front of bow to first floor is a conservatory with blind box.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid-C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the principal
developments influenced by White's and Nash's schemes for
Regent's Park (1809-11), London.
Said to be one of the earliest villas to be built in The Park.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9409321160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings