History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester College) and Attached Area Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8876 / 51°53'15"N

Longitude: -2.0887 / 2°5'19"W

OS Eastings: 393991

OS Northings: 221004

OS Grid: SO939210

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.LR7

Mapcode Global: VH947.RT4C

Entry Name: Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester College) and Attached Area Railings

Listing Date: 7 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476109

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9321SE THE PARK
630-1/21/927 (South side (off))
07/03/97 Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester
College) and attached area railings

GV II

Villa, now part of Cheltenham College of Higher Education, and
attached area railings. 1847 with later additions and
alterations including verandah to garden facade c1890s for Mrs
MacKnight Crawford of Lauriston Castle; mid-C20 range to east.
Stucco over brick with flattened hipped slate roof and 3
stuccoed stacks with cornices, timber verandah and iron area
railings. Double-depth plan with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and with attics, 5 first-floor
windows. Stucco detailing includes quoins to angles, moulded
first-floor band, crowning moulded cornice surmounted by
moulded brackets and wide eaves; tooled architraves to
windows, those to ground floor have cornices on console
brackets, those to first floor have sills on feet. 2/2
horizontal-pane, and 1/1 horned sashes, all in plain reveal
and with sills, the central first-floor window is divided and
between 2 smaller windows. All windows in plain reveals and
with sills. 3 attic dormers, the outer ones break eaves line,
2/2 horizontal-pane sashes and pedimented gables on corbel
brackets. Concealed basement. Central entrance, flight of
roll-edged steps to solid projecting porch with Doric
pilasters and dentil entablature with blocking course; early
C20 studded double doors with fanlight with glazing bars in
surround with moulded head and Doric pilasters. Garden facade:
2 storeys with attics, 5 first-floor windows. Stucco detailing
includes quoins to angles, crowning moulded cornice surmounted
by brackets supporting wide eaves. Windows have tooled
architraves. 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes where original, those
to first floor have blind boxes; all in plain reveals, those
to first floor have sills. 3 attic roof dormers with 1/1
sashes and pedimented gables on brackets. Ground-floor
verandah has flight of steps to central entrance, double
part-glazed doors with overlight and gable with decorative
barge boards. Otherwise latticed lower stage and plate-glass
with shaped mullions and continuous overlight.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original plasterwork and joinery.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings to front facade have
X-motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner, Thomas Billings, as an oval tree-lined drive with a


central park which, for a short period in the mid-C19, became
a zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
architect Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the
principal developments influenced by White's and Nash's
schemes for Regent's Park (1809-11), London.
Fullwood was the main house in The Park. By 1823 it was an
Ursuline Ladies College; in 1931 the estate passed to St
Mary's College. The Boathouse (qv) was built as part of its
grounds.
Forms a good group with Entrance to Fullwood (qv) and
Boathouse (qv), The Park. The modern block to the north-east
is not of special architectural or historic interest.
(Sampson A: Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of HE: Cheltenham: 1991-).

Listing NGR: SO9398620997

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.