This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8883 / 51°53'17"N
Longitude: -2.0893 / 2°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 393951
OS Northings: 221089
OS Grid: SO939210
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.DMP
Mapcode Global: VH947.QSVS
Entry Name: Entrance to Fullwood (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education)
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476117
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9321SE THE PARK
630-1/21/929 (South side)
14/12/83 Entrance to Fullwood (Cheltenham and
Gloucester College of Higher
(Formerly Listed as:
Quadrant walls, railings, gatepiers
to Fullwood entrance of the College
Quadrant walls, railings, gates and gate piers. c1890-1900,
with later additions and alterations. Probably for Mrs
Macknight Crawford of Lauriston Castle. Dwarf walls with heavy
iron railings. Central gatepiers joined by C20 gates (not
included) quadrant walls surmounted by railings to outer
piers, then further stretch of wall for approx 5m with
railings to right return and end right pier. Panelled ashlar
gate piers with modillion capping; cappings contain copper
monograms. Low walls have chamfered copings; railings have
heavy spearhead caps and frieze with circle motif, bars in 2
HISTORICAL NOTE: this marks the site of the entrance to the
'Gloucestershire Zoological, Botanical and Horticultural
Gardens' which originally occupied the centre of The Park. The
Park was laid out by 1833 by its owner, Thomas Billings, as an
oval tree-lined drive with a central park which, for a short
period in the mid-C19 became a zoological garden. In 1839 the
development was bought by Samuel Daukes who continued the
building. The Park is one of the developments influenced by
White's and Nash's scheme for Regent's Park (1809-11), London.
The monograms on the gatepiers probably relate to the
occupation of the adjacent house (Fullwood qv) by a Carmelite
order of nuns c1920. The Estate passed to St Mary's Training
College in 1931 and is now part of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of Higher Education.
Forms an integral part of a significant streetscape group of
piers in The Park.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271;
Sampson A: Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of HE).
Listing NGR: SO9395121089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings