This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.89 / 51°53'24"N
Longitude: -2.0742 / 2°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 394992
OS Northings: 221274
OS Grid: SO949212
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.JDH
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0RBH
Entry Name: Southwood
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476135
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SE THIRLESTAINE ROAD
630-1/23/941 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa. Built before 1820 by R Varden, the architect and
landscape gardener. Stucco over brick with hipped slate roof,
3 tall gault brick stacks with cornices; and wrought-iron
verandah to garden facade.
EXTERIOR: front elevation has 2 storeys, 3 first-floor
windows. Stucco detailing includes 4 pilasters with sunk
panels to full height; ground-floor windows with tooled
round-arched recesses; cornice. Wide eaves. 6/6 sashes
throughout, taller to ground floor, in plain reveals and with
sills. Arched entrance with 4-panel, part-glazed double doors
and side-lights and fanlight with decorative radial glazing
bars, within porch with coupled Ionic columns and entablature.
Garden elevation has 2 storeys, 2:3:1:3:2 first-floor windows
including 2 bows to full height (the 3-window bays). Mainly
6/6 sashes throughout, those to bows curved on section, except
to left bow a central ground-floor 6-pane French window with
overlight; all with plain reveals and with sills. 2 octagonal,
glazed cupolas to roof.
INTERIOR: retains original joinery and plasterwork; fine
Adam-style mantel, enriched and with detached columns to
ground-floor; dogleg staircase to hall has embellished iron
balusters; doors have tooled architraves.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: ground-floor verandah to bows with
lead-enriched rails and trellis uprights, Greek key frieze.
HISTORICAL NOTE: known in the C19 as Lake House, and shown as
such on Merrett's Map of 1834. A graceful design in the
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 154; Chatwin A:
Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 25;
Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9499221274
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings