This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8874 / 51°53'14"N
Longitude: -2.085 / 2°5'5"W
OS Eastings: 394248
OS Northings: 220983
OS Grid: SO942209
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.MP3
Mapcode Global: VH947.TT3H
Entry Name: Hilgay Lodge and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476166
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9420NW TUDOR LODGE ROAD
630-1/26/972 Hilgay Lodge and attached area
Villa. c1834-40 with later additions and alterations including
C20 range to rear. Stucco over brick with hipped slate roof
and 2 tall stucco ridge stacks and rear stack; iron area
railings and brackets. Double-depth plan with central hallway
and full-height service range to rear at left, with further
addition to its rear.
EXTERIOR: stucco detailing includes ground-floor band; quoins
to ground-floor angles; first-floor band surmounted by
pilasters to ends and to sides of central window; tooled
architraves throughout with frieze and cornice to ground
floor. 6/6 sashes throughout, those to ground floor are
taller, all in plain reveals and with sills and tooled
architraves, those to ground floor have cornices, those to
first floor have plain aprons and frieze. Basement retains 6/6
sashes. Flight of 8 roll-edged steps to central entrance,
panelled pilasters with frieze and dentil cornice, within are
double part-glazed doors with margin-lights and overlight.
Rear and return retain 6/6 and 8/8 sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings have circle motif. Brackets
to tent-roofed hood to entrance and to ground-floor window of
HISTORICAL NOTE: The house is set in oval plan grounds and is
shown as laid out on Merrett's Map of 1834. Part of The Park
development laid out for Thomas Billings in 1833; the estate
was bought c1839 by architect SW Daukes, by which time most
houses had been built.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 153).
Listing NGR: SO9424620984
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings