History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halsey House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pittville, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9053 / 51°54'19"N

Longitude: -2.0693 / 2°4'9"W

OS Eastings: 395328

OS Northings: 222973

OS Grid: SO953229

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.KNF

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.2CWR

Entry Name: Halsey House

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476185

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9522NW WELLINGTON ROAD
630-1/10/984 (South side)
12/03/55 Halsey House, Nos 1-4 (consecutive)

GV II

Formerly known as: Primrose Lawn WELLINGTON ROAD.
Villa, now flats. c1828-1832. Stucco over brick with concealed
roof and iron window box.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement, 3 first-floor windows. Stucco
detailing includes full-height end Doric pilasters and either
side of central window, which interrupt first and second-floor
bands; surmounting frieze and cornice with blocking course and
copings. Double depth plan with central hallway. Plinth.
Ground and first floors have 6/6 sashes, taller to ground
floor. Second floor has 3/3 sashes. All windows in plain
reveals and with sills. Basement has casement windows. Flight
of steps to central entrance a 4-panel door with sidelights
and overlight with margin-lights; in distyle Ionic porch with
engaged Ionic pilasters, entablature has pulvinated frieze and
modillion cornice.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original joinery including
panelled shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: simple window box to central first-floor
window.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Originally known as Primrose Lawn, this house
partly built was transferred from John Gray, builder for ยป400
to Captain William Broughton, RN and completed by him as his
own residence. Part of the development of this area undertaken
for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42, the general layout being designed
by the architect John Forbes.
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 63).


Listing NGR: SO9545222985

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.