This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.906 / 51°54'21"N
Longitude: -2.0721 / 2°4'19"W
OS Eastings: 395133
OS Northings: 223055
OS Grid: SO951230
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.JXY
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1CD6
Plus Code: 9C3VWW4H+C4
Entry Name: Avondale House
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476195
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9523SW WELLINGTON SQUARE
630-1/6/990 (South side)
05/05/72 Avondale House
Villa, now flats. 1834-5. Built for Lt-Col Thomas Barron of
the East India Company. Stucco over brick with hipped slate
roof and central and right end stuccoed stacks. Double depth
plan with entrance to left return.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement, 5 first-floor windows.
Stucco detailing includes end pilasters with sunk panels;
tooled architraves to ground and first-floor windows, those to
ground floor also with frieze and cornice; crowning cornice.
Ground and first floors have 6/6 sashes, basement has 2/2
sashes, all in plain reveals and with sills. Left return: 4
first-floor windows. Similar pilaster to right end with sunk
panel; breakforward to 3 left windows. First floor: blind
window then three 2/2 sashes. Ground floor has 6/6 sash and
blind opening. Off-centre left entrance in solid porch with 2
pairs of Doric pilasters with frieze and cornice with blocking
course, flight of steps to double 4-panel studded doors and
overlight with margin-lights; sides of porch have 1/1 sashes.
Rear retains 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: reputed to retain original joinery including
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area
undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42, the general layout
being designed by the architect John Forbes. All the listed
buildings in Wellington Square form a good group around a
central grassed area.
Occupies an important corner position.
Listing NGR: SO9513123051
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings