History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2276 / 53°13'39"N

Longitude: -0.5395 / 0°32'22"W

OS Eastings: 497593

OS Northings: 371058

OS Grid: SK975710

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.NDH

Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.P48G

Plus Code: 9C5X6FH6+25

Entry Name: Market Building

Listing Date: 2 October 1969

Last Amended: 20 December 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388502

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485947

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Mary-le-Wigford

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9771SE CORNHILL
1941-1/12/80 (North side)
02/10/69 Market Building
(Formerly Listed as:
CORNHILL
(North side)
Former Corn Exchange (MacDonald's,
market stalls, Ladbroke's Bingo))

GV II

Also known as: Corn Exchange CORNHILL.
Former corn exchange and market building, now restaurant,
covered market and bingo club. 1879. By Bellamy & Hardy.
Converted late C20. Brick with stone dressings, iron piers and
joists. Slate and lead roofs with 2 gable stacks and 3 gabled
ventilators. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: moulded plinth, first floor band, modillion cornice,
pedimented east gable. 2 and 3 storeys, 12 bays.
South side has to left an entrance bay, 3 storeys. Ground
floor has a C20 shopfront. The upper floors have 2 tripartite
sashes, those to the second floor with keystones. Between
them, the City arms. Above, an open pediment containing an
inscribed datestone. Very steep pitched pyramidal roof with a
flat top and wrought-iron crest. On each side, a louvred round
arched dormer with a crest. To right, shouldered ground floor
openings containing late C20 shopfronts, those to the right
under a late C20 glazed canopy. Above, a round arched blind
arcade with shaped keystones.
East gable has 2 round headed windows. North side has
pilasters and cogged eaves.
INTERIOR has in the main hall a laminated wood hammer beam
roof with iron spandrels and ornamented tie rods. Blind
arcaded walls. First floor carried on cast-iron columns.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 523).

Listing NGR: SK9759371058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.