History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenstone House and Attached Forecourt Wall and Railing

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.233 / 53°13'58"N

Longitude: -0.5341 / 0°32'2"W

OS Eastings: 497944

OS Northings: 371665

OS Grid: SK979716

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.9SV

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.RZVW

Entry Name: Greenstone House and Attached Forecourt Wall and Railing

Listing Date: 8 October 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485994

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-in-Eastgate with St Margaret in the close

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9771NE GREESTONE PLACE
1941-1/9/128 (East side)
08/10/53 No.4
Greestone House and attached
forecourt wall and railing

GV II

House, now a college of Further Education, and attached
forecourt wall and railing. Early C17 and late C18,
incorporating part of a late C13 house. Additions and
alterations c1860. Coursed and squared rubble with stone
dressings and plain tile roofs with 3 side wall and 2 gable
stacks. Single coped gable with kneelers.
2 storeys plus attics, 5 x 4 bays. L-plan.
Main south front has a Doric doorcase with pediment and
overlight, flanked to left by three 12-pane sashes and to
right by a C19 triple sash. Above, four 12-pane sashes to
left, and a further sash to right. Below it, between floors, a
triple sash. The single sashes have keystones, the triple
sashes wooden lintels.
West front has four 12-pane sashes on each floor and above, 4
segment headed dormers.
South gable has irregular C19 fenestration.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Attached forecourt wall, brick with ashlar coping, is topped
with C18 wrought-iron spearhead railing with a segment headed
gateway and a grotesque mask in the overthrow. The railing is
said to have come from the Church of St Peter at Arches,
dismantled c1936.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 491; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in
Lincoln: Lincoln: 1987-: 24-27).

Listing NGR: SK9794471665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.