History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Tithe Barn to Vicar's Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.233 / 53°13'58"N

Longitude: -0.5346 / 0°32'4"W

OS Eastings: 497909

OS Northings: 371668

OS Grid: SK979716

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.9NF

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.RZMW

Entry Name: Former Tithe Barn to Vicar's Court

Listing Date: 8 October 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388551

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485996

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-in-Eastgate with St Margaret in the close

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9771NE GREESTONE PLACE
1941-1/9/125 (West side)
08/10/53 Former tithe barn to Vicars' Court

GV II

Former lodging and storehouse, now garages and stores. c1440,
west end demolished mid C19, altered mid C20. Squared dressed
stone, coursed rubble and brick, with hipped and gabled plain
tile roof and a brick side wall stack.
Chamfered plinth. 2 storeys, 5 bays. East gable has a restored
3-light mullioned window and above it, a panel with the arms
of Bishop Alnwick and John Breton, Prebendary of Sutton, both
with hoodmoulds. South side has 6 buttresses and 2 doorways
with elliptical arches and hoodmoulds, that to the right
containing a C19 window. Between them, a single lancet and a
C19 3-light mullioned window. To left, a C20 casement and a
garage door. To right, a single lancet and a C20 door in an
altered opening. Above, to left, a 2-light window and a single
lancet with hoodmoulds. Near-central small stair light.
North side has 5 small loop windows.
INTERIOR has C15 double purlin principal rafter roof.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 491; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in
Lincoln: Lincoln: 1987-: 62-65).

Listing NGR: SK9790971668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.