This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2285 / 53°13'42"N
Longitude: -0.5408 / 0°32'26"W
OS Eastings: 497505
OS Northings: 371160
OS Grid: SK975711
Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.N28
Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.N3PR
Entry Name: High Bridge
Listing Date: 8 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486019
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Boultham
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Mary-le-Wigford
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK9771SE HIGH STREET
1941-1/12/152 Nos.207, 209 AND 210
08/10/53 High Bridge
Road bridge carrying shops and houses. C12, with C13 and C16
additions, restored and partly reconstructed 1902 by William
Watkins of Lincoln.
Bridge has an ashlar semicircular arch with chamfered
transverse ribs and a single bay with diagonal ribs. West end
has imposts and small chamfered slits in the spandrels. East
end has a renewed chamfered opening with pierced balustrade
and coped piers.
The range of shops and houses at the west end, C16, is a
careful and thorough reconstruction. Timber framed, the west
side partly roughcast, with dressed stone and brick underbuild
and plain tile roof. Much of the original close studded
framing survives, with renewed rendered nogging. Original
angle brackets in the form of angels. 3 storeys plus attics, 2
jetties, 6 bays.
East front has to the left a glazing bar shop window and door.
To right, 2 doors flanked by single plain windows. The doors
have Tudor arched heads. Above, 2 floors, each with six
3-light leaded casements, all projecting like oriels. Above
again, 3 gabled dormers with 2-light casements.
Rear has a renewed 2 storey underbuild to the left, and above
the bridge, a 6-light hooded window flanked by small single
light windows. Above, 2 windows flanked by single plain
oriels, and to left, a larger window. Above again, exposed
timber framing with 5 windows. Attics have 3 dormers similar
to those at the front.
INTERIOR retains much of the original structure, with renewed
nogging and joinery in a matching style.
This building is the only surviving example in England of a
medieval bridge carrying shops and houses.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No.26.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 523; Curl JS: The Victorian Facade (W Watkins &
Son, Architects, Lincoln): Lincoln: 1990-: 43-44).
Listing NGR: SK9750571160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings