This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2267 / 53°13'35"N
Longitude: -0.541 / 0°32'27"W
OS Eastings: 497495
OS Northings: 370949
OS Grid: SK974709
Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.N1V
Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.N5K6
Plus Code: 9C5X6FG5+MH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Le Wigford
Listing Date: 8 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486042
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Mary-le-Wigford
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK9770NW HIGH STREET
1941-1/14/174 (East side)
08/10/53 Church of St Mary le Wigford
Church. C11, C12, C13. South aisle 1877 by Leach of Cambridge.
Restored 1872 by R C Clarke of Nottingham. Tower restored by
Watkins & Son, 1908. Additions and alterations 1975.
Dressed stone and coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings and
slate roofs. Nave and aisles have coped gables.
PLAN: west tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof,
aisles, north chapel, vestry.
EXTERIOR: west tower, C11, 2 stages, has quoins, string course
and eaves band, and crenellated parapet. To west, restored
doorway, now a window, with imposts and checkered hoodmould.
To its right, a reset stone with Roman and Anglo-Saxon
inscriptions. Above it, 2 round headed windows and above them,
a clock. Recessed bell stage has round headed twin openings
with mid wall shafts and various C11 capitals.
Nave has at the west end small buttresses flanking the tower.
East end has 3 buttresses, moulded plinth and sill band, and 2
single lancets with hoodmoulds and stops. Above them, a
pointed quatrefoil with moulded surround.
North aisle and chapel, C13, 4 bays, has dentilled eaves and
sill band to north-east, and a C19 side wall stack. 4
buttresses, those to the west being larger. South side has, to
east, 2 flat headed Perpendicular 3-light windows. To their
right, 2 similar windows, C19 and C14. Renewed doorway with
C20 leaded hood. East and west ends have Decorated 3-light
windows with hoodmoulds. East end has a diagonal buttress.
South aisle, 4 bays, has buttresses and stepped sill band.
Reset C13 moulded south door with double shafts. To its right,
2 altered 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. At the
east end, a similar window. To south, C20 vestry with a reset
C13 roll moulded arch with shafts and scallop capitals, and 2
interlace panels. These are said to be from the churches of St
Benedict and St Mark.
INTERIOR has C19 panelled barrel vaulted roofs throughout.
Chamfered tower arch has a C20 glazed screen. Above it, a
round headed doorway.
North arcade, C13, 3 bays, has concave sided octagonal piers
with 4 ringed shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Double chamfered
arches with hoodmoulds and stops.
South arcade, C19, has plain octagonal piers and capitals.
Chancel has double chamfered arch with hoodmould and keeled
responds with stiff-leaf capitals. Screen wall with
wrought-iron railing and gate. North side has a 2 bay arcade
with cruciform central pier with detached shafts, keeled
responds, double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, and C19
traceried iron screen. Arcaded east end has ringed shafts and
moulded sill band. Stained glass windows, 1877, by Clayton &
Bell. South side has a gabled piscina and aumbry, tomb recess
containing a seat, and organ opening.
North aisle has a C13 doorway with keeled roll moulding and
shafts. Roll moulded window surrounds with filleted shafts.
Reset stained glass north-east window, mid C19. North chapel
has an early C14 keel moulded tomb recess with an effigy. East
window has a keel moulded surround and stained glass, 1865. To
its left, and ogee headed aumbry.
South aisle has a blocked double chamfered arch to east, with
a C20 screen and door.
FITTINGS include a C15 buttressed octagonal font, 2 brass
lecterns, traceried stalls and desks, all C19. Brass
MEMORIALS include and alabaster chest tomb, 1618, possibly by
Maximilian Colt to Sir Thomas Grantham, with 2 effigies and
shields in quatrefoils. Reset late C16 floor slab. Two late
C18 and 2 mid C19 tablets.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 497-498).
Listing NGR: SK9749570949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings