This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2218 / 53°13'18"N
Longitude: -0.5438 / 0°32'37"W
OS Eastings: 497320
OS Northings: 370401
OS Grid: SK973704
Mapcode National: GBR FMX.1B0
Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.M87Z
Plus Code: 9C5X6FC4+PF
Entry Name: Church of St Peter at Gowts
Listing Date: 8 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486044
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-at-Gowts
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK97SE HIGH STREET
1941-1/2/180 (East side)
08/10/53 Church of St Peter at Gowts
Church. C11, C12, C13, C14. North aisle and porch 1852, by W A
Nicholson. Chancel enlarged 1887 by C H Fowler. Coursed rubble
and dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
PLAN: west tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, 2
aisles, porch, organ chamber, vestry, south chapel.
EXTERIOR: west tower, unbuttressed, 2 stages, has chamfered
plinth, quoins, string course, eaves band, coped parapet and
pyramidal roof. Round headed west doorway, C19, with relief in
tympanum. Above, a round headed window, and above again, a
clock and a similar window, both with hoodmoulds. South side
has another window. Recessed bell stage has on each side
double round headed openings with mid wall shafts and fluted
Nave has coped gable and C19 turret-shaped chimney in
south-east corner. South-east side has 3 restored 2-light
pointed arched windows above the chapel. North aisle, 3 bays,
has buttresses, chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gables.
Decorated style windows, 2 and 3 lights, with hoodmoulds.
Gabled north porch has matching doorway.
South aisle, C13, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and coped
gables. South side has 3 buttresses. To left, a blocked
doorway. To right, 2 Decorated windows, 4 and 3 lights, with
North-east chapel and organ chamber, 2 storeys, has coped east
gable with a stack and a timber framed west gable with a
window with wooden mullions. North side has a pointed arched
door flanked by a stone mullioned window and a Decorated
3-light window. East end has a 2-light pointed arched window
on each floor.
Vestry, C19, has parapet and a pointed arched north door. 2
and 3 light pointed arched windows throughout.
Chancel has coped east gable, sill band and linked hoodmoulds.
3 round headed windows, and single round window above. South
side has low round headed windows to left and to right, three
C19 ogee headed lancets.
South chapel, 2 bays, built 1347 as a chantry, has corner and
angle buttresses, plinth and coped gables with kneelers. South
side has two 3-light pointed arched windows with intersecting
tracery, and east end has a similar window.
INTERIOR: tower arch has plain imposts and a C19 wooden screen
and gallery. Triangular headed doorway above.
Nave has north arcade, C19, 4 bays, with concave sided
octagonal piers with 4 keeled shafts, stiff leaf capitals, and
double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds.
Similar south arcade has a C14 eastern bay with octagonal
responds, moulded capitals and no hoodmoulds. Arch braced king
post roof with struts, C19.
North aisle has west and north-west windows, c1891, by Kempe.
Wooden arch to chapel at east end. Both aisles have lean-to
North chapel and organ chamber has to north a marble and
ashlar aumbry, C19, with shafts. Canted barrel vaulted wooden
roof with painted decoration.
South chapel has to west a double chamfered arch with
demi-shafts. North-east corner has a tomb recess to Radulfus
Jolyf, 1347, with inscribed soffit and hoodmould with triple
shafts. Beside it, remains of a squint and 2 corbels. Arch
braced king post roof, C19, with painted decoration.
Chancel, archless, has a hanging rood, 1920, by Temple Moore,
and painted barrel vaulted roof. North side has a 2 bay arcade
to the chapel and organ chamber, with Perpendicular style
wooden screens. East end has a Perpendicular style stone
reredos with figures, C20. East and south-west windows all C19
stained glass. South side has to east a restored ogee headed
FITTINGS: include a C11 tub font with blind arcading, on a
renewed stem. Other fittings C19.
MEMORIALS: include 12 late C18 and C19 tablets, and a war
memorial board, 1918.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 499-500).
Listing NGR: SK9732070401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings