This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2356 / 53°14'8"N
Longitude: -0.5373 / 0°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 497724
OS Northings: 371949
OS Grid: SK977719
Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.2ZH
Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.QXBX
Entry Name: Deloraine Court East and Deloraine Court West
Listing Date: 8 October 1953
Last Amended: 20 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486054
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Minster
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln, St Mary Magdalene with St Paul in the Bail and St Michael on the Mount
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK9771NE JAMES STREET
1941-1/9/184 (West side)
08/10/53 Nos.4, 5 AND 6
Deloraine Court East (No.5) and
Deloraine Court West (No.6)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.4 AND 5
House, now 3 houses. c1300, incorporating a C12 undercroft.
Remodelled early C17 and c1660, with C18 additions and early
C19 alterations. Dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and
plain tile and pantile roofs with various stacks.
EXTERIOR: south range, C18, 2 storeys plus basement and
attics, 5 bays, has plinth and single ridge and 2 gable brick
stacks. East front has to left a wooden doorcase with pediment
and hanging lamp, and a 6-panel door with 2 glazed panels. To
its right, four 12-pane sashes, and above, 5 similar smaller
sashes, the right one with an iron balcony. Above again, 2
segment headed dormers. Basement has a large central sliding
sash, flanked to left by a plain sash and to right by a plain
doorcase with a 6-panel door.
Former great hall, 2 storeys, 4 bays, has brick rear wall and
ridge stacks, and a first floor band. In the centre, two large
15-pane sashes, flanked to left by a fielded 6-panel door in a
plain surround. Above, two through-eaves dormers with coped
gables, each with a 16-pane sash. The left dormer has 2 reset
heads. Beyond, on either side, a single bay projection with
coped gable, 2 storeys, that to left with a 12-pane sash, that
to right with a half-glazed panelled door and a 16-pane sash
East wing has a rebuilt brick side wall stack and coped south
East side has an off-centre doorway flanked to right by a
3-light casement, and to left by a larger 3-light casement
with glazing bars. Beyond, a smaller glazing bar sash. Above
the door, a 3-light casement with wooden mullions and leaded
glazing. To its left, 2 segment headed 12-pane sashes. Gables
have irregular fenestration.
INTERIOR has in the west wing an undercroft with three C12
piers with scallop capitals, and a first floor panelled room
dated 1602, with a C12 chimney and late C15 arched fireplace.
C15 queen post truss roof with wind braces. In the south-west
range, a C14 sculptured reredos. Former great hall, ceiled in
c1663, has a collared rafter roof c1300, and at the west end,
remains of a balustraded gallery, early C17. On the ground
floor, an apsidal ended dining room c1800. East wing, reroofed
c1660, has on the ground floor a kitchen fireplace c1400, and
on the first floor, a room with rearranged panelling and
overmantel, early C17.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 512-513; The Survey of Ancient Houses in
Lincoln: Jones S: Lincoln: 1990-: 67-85).
Listing NGR: SK9772471949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings