History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 6 and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2345 / 53°14'4"N

Longitude: -0.5344 / 0°32'3"W

OS Eastings: 497922

OS Northings: 371836

OS Grid: SK979718

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.9Q3

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.RYQQ

Entry Name: Number 6 and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 8 October 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 486114

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-in-Eastgate with St Margaret in the close

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9771NE MINSTER YARD
1941-1/9/229 (East side)
08/10/53 No.6
and attached wall

GV II

House and attached area wall. 1822. Built by John Ward for the
Rev. William Carter. Stucco with plain tile roof and 2 brick
gable stacks.
First floor balcony with good wrought-iron railing, moulded
eaves cornice with paired modillions, stone coped gables. 2
storeys, 3 bays. L-plan. Front has to right a reeded wooden
doorcase with pediment and fielded panelled door and fanlight.
To its right, a beaded panelled door, and to its left, 2
glazing bar sashes. Above, 3 similar taller sashes with
cornices. Above again, 3 similar smaller sashes.
INTERIOR has at the rear a dogleg stair with narrow well,
ramped and scrolled hardwood handrail and 2 stick balusters
per tread. Ground floor entrance hall and adjoining drawing
room have moulded cornices and enriched ceiling borders. The
drawing room has a central foliage boss, and marble fireplace
with panelled pilasters and paterae. First floor study and
adjoining ante room have moulded cornices, enriched ceiling
borders and foliage bosses, marble fireplaces with panelled
pilasters and paterae. Each room has a reeded doorcase with
paterae, and linking the rooms is a double doorway with a
similar surround and enriched frieze and cornice. Doors mainly
have 6 panels with beading.
Outside, stone coped dwarf stucco wall with 2 panelled piers.
(Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln:
1984-: 39-40).


Listing NGR: SK9792271836

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.