History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Graveley Place and Adjoining Garden Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.234 / 53°14'2"N

Longitude: -0.5337 / 0°32'1"W

OS Eastings: 497967

OS Northings: 371777

OS Grid: SK979717

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.9VN

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.SZ13

Entry Name: Graveley Place and Adjoining Garden Wall

Listing Date: 8 October 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388657

English Heritage Legacy ID: 486118

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-in-Eastgate with St Margaret in the close

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9771NE MINSTER YARD
1941-1/9/234 (East side)
08/10/53 No.12
Graveley Place and adjoining garden
wall

GV II*

House and adjoining garden wall. Early C14, late C17 and late
C19. Coursed and squared rubble and brick, with stone
dressings and plain tile roof. External front wall stone stack
with 2 square brick flues set diagonally, and cruciform brick
ridge stack. Plinth and quoins.
2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays. L-plan. C19 fenestration. Front
has a slightly off-centre moulded wood doorcase with cornice
and part-glazed 6-panel door, set in a former carriage
entrance with a wooden lintel and two C14 mask corbels. To its
left, a blocked doorway, C14. Beyond, on either side, a stone
mullioned window, 3 lights. Above, two cusped stone mullioned
windows, 3 lights, and to right, a similar window, 2 lights.
Above again, 2 gabled dormers with 2-light casements.
INTERIOR has dogleg stair with square newels and stick
balusters, with a winder stair on the second floor. Double
purlin principal rafter roof with wind braces.
Outside, at the rear, north garden wall, c1300, formerly part
of the north range. Coursed squared stone with pantile coping.
Approx. 2m high and 15m long.
The building is named after John Graveley, who lived there
1466-1473.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 492; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in
Lincoln: Lincoln: 1984-: 66-73).


Listing NGR: SK9796771777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.