This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0614 / 51°3'41"N
Longitude: -1.3194 / 1°19'9"W
OS Eastings: 447790
OS Northings: 129342
OS Grid: SU477293
Mapcode National: GBR 861.97N
Mapcode Global: FRA 8639.ZRV
Entry Name: 5-9, Archery Lane
Listing Date: 5 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389281
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487916
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4729 SE ARCHERY LANE
869/5/10015 Peninsula Barracks
05-SEP-00 (North side)
Barracks, possibly officers' quarters, now housing. 1901-5, restored c1995 to the designs of the architect Huw Thomas. Red brick with rear lateral stack and slate hipped roof. Georgian Revival style.
PLAN: Probably double-depth rooms with central stair.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 4:3:4-window range. Central pedimented section set forward, with clock set in oculus. Terracotta cornice. Gauged brick cambered arches to horned 6/6-pane sashes. Semi-circular arched central doorway, the outer blocks each having two of the original window openings deepened into doorways with overlights. Similar rear elevation; pedimented centre has rusticated doorway by Huw Thomas with rusticated pilasters. Paired sashes to the end elevations. INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: in the manner of most late nineteenth century officers' quarters such as those at Aldershot and Colchester at this time, overlooking the former parade square. This formed part of the Lower Barracks site, occupied from the mid nineteenth century as a hospital and prison and largely rebuilt 1901-5. It forms a complete functional assemblage of late Victorian/Edwardian barrack buildings, and contributes to the considerable overall significance of the Peninsula barracks site.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings