This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3786 / 51°22'42"N
Longitude: -0.5831 / 0°34'59"W
OS Eastings: 498706
OS Northings: 165345
OS Grid: SU987653
Mapcode National: GBR F9S.HDR
Mapcode Global: VHFTV.VM21
Entry Name: Longcross Church
Listing Date: 4 March 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490261
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, KT16
Electoral Ward/Division: Foxhills
Built-Up Area: Longcross
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Virginia Water
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
772/0/10018 LONGCROSS ROAD
04-MAR-04 Longcross Church
Church. Built in 1847 at the expense of Mr Tringham of Longcross House. Early English style. Architect was a Mr Willoughby. Built of red brick in Flemish bond, with Bath stone dressings and slate roof. Plan is a five-bay nave with west porch, lower two-bay chancel and south-west vestry.
EXTERIOR: The west gable has elaborate stone carving and finial and the west window is a triple lancet with taller central light. There is an elaborate arched doorcase with stone colonnettes and gabled fretted weatherhood with slate roof. The porch has built-in seats, encaustic tiled floor and arched door with elaborate ironmongery. On either side are small lancets with leaded lights and brick buttresses.The nave north and south sides have stone lancets with hood moulding divided by buttresses. The chancel has a cross-shaped saddlestone and an east window with an oval and three lancets below. The vestry is lean-to and has an arched doorcase with elaborate ironmongery.
INTERIOR: The nave has a scissor-braced roof supported on stone corbels and there are four tiers of purlins and boarding. A trefoil band runs around the top of the wall. The west window has stained glass depicting Christ flanked by angels. Below are Gothic-arched recesses with the Creed and Ten Commandments. The south west bay has an encaustic tiled floor and an octagonal stone font with decorated wooden font cover. There is a mosaic floor to the centre of the nave and the pews have wide bench ends with trefoil decoration. The north-east bay has the original carved wooden pulpit on a stone base with trefoil decoration. Other stained glass is of the 1870s or 1920s but original grisaille glass survives to the eastern bay.A large chancel arch with colonnettes leads to the chancel with intact oak choir stalls and lectern, encaustic tiled floor and painted and decorated organ pipes.The Sanctuary has a wood and brass communion rail, encaustic tiled floor with JHS and a vulning pelican and a mosaic reredos depicting the Adoration of the Magi. The east window depicts the Crucifixion and is dated 1885.
An unusually complete mid C19 country church built under the provisions of the Patronage Act of 1831.
[Pevsner "Buildings of England: Surrey" p352.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings