This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5753 / 51°34'31"N
Longitude: -0.1979 / 0°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 524977
OS Northings: 187809
OS Grid: TQ249878
Mapcode National: GBR C4.GSB
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.JN7Q
Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel
Listing Date: 23 July 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490909
Location: Barnet, London, NW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Childs Hill
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban the Martyr Golders Green
Church of England Diocese: London
31/0/10456 HOOP LANE
23-JUL-04 Golders Green
Unitarian church. Opened 1925. Reginal Farrow FRIBA, architect. Red brick with Portland stone dressings. Exterior in the Byzantine revival style, with a pedimented entrance bay with inscribed frieze which reads RELIGION : TRUTH : LIBERTY; arched doorway flanked by inset columns with cushion capitals; thermal window above.
INTERIOR: plaster groin-vaulted ceiling, large arched windows to either side; wooden lobby screen incorporating a carved oak memorial to Rev. Joyce Daplyn (d.1931), first Unitarian woman minister in London. Over the door is an Art Deco stained glass window showing the celestial city above a forest setting, by Joan Fullerlove: it is surrounded by a tempera mural by Margaret Warren in a Florentine Revival style, with full-length figures flanking the entrance, with an angel hovering over a golden chalice above. The semi-circular apse with half-dome above sports a notable temera mural by Ivon Hitchens RA (1892-1979), executed in 1920-21, depicting the River of the Waters of Life: the inscriptions (in Gothic letters) read 'The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace' and 'the leaves of the tree were for the healling of the nations'. Fittings include a pulpit made by Belgian refugees during the First World War.
HISTORY: the Golders Green Unitarian congregation seceded from the Rosslyn Hill Chapel, Hampstead in 1903. This building, erected at a cost of £7,500, was designed by a member of the congregation. Architecturally somewhat old-fashioned for its day, this is nonetheless a notable interwar place of worship which possesses some remarkable decoration. Hitchens, best known as an abstract painter, here executed a fine mural in tempera which drew on Florentine Renaissance sources as well as tapestry designs by Morris & Co. for inspiration. This is a larger version of his 'Forest Scene with Animals', a work executed in 1919-20 for St Luke's Church, Maidstone.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings