History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kitchen Garden Walls to West of Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Mogerhanger, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1244 / 52°7'27"N

Longitude: -0.3449 / 0°20'41"W

OS Eastings: 513405

OS Northings: 248629

OS Grid: TL134486

Mapcode National: GBR H3N.X6H

Mapcode Global: VHFQ9.ZV1V

Entry Name: Kitchen Garden Walls to West of Park House

Listing Date: 13 January 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1390953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 492592

Location: Mogerhanger, Central Bedfordshire, MK44

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Mogerhanger

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Moggerhanger St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Willington

Listing Text

348/0/10009

MOGGERHANGER,
MOGGERHANGER PARK,
Kitchen Garden Walls To West Of Park House

13.01.04

GV

II

Garden enclosure walls. c.1790. Red brick in Flemish bond with blue brick copings. Walls are approx. 4m high and run in a continuous rectangle enclosing a large former kitchen garden. Double opening with segmental arch lintel to the centre of the north wall; single door under gauged brick lintel to the south-west corner, where there is access to a complex of garden buildings, and a gate at the eastern corner. Attached to the north, a lower rectangular range of brick walls mostly in Flemish bond and dating from c.1806, with some areas of later repair.
HISTORY: The kitchen garden is approx. 50m to the west of Moggerhanger (listed as Park House) re-modelled by Sir John Soane in 1790-97 for Godfrey Thornton, a director of the Bank of England and 1806-12 for Thornton's son, Stephen. The rectangular walled enclosure appears on Humphry Repton's 1792 Red Book map but not on the plan of 1789. The lower walls to the north were added c.1806 when Thornton's son, Stephen, was in the house. Glasshouses attached to the east of these were damaged in an 1835 storm and Soane arranged for their reglazing.

SOURCES: English Heritage Parks and Gardens file GD 3088 RUP.
Ptolemy Dean. Sir John Soane and the Country Estate. 1999.

An intact range of high brick enclosure walls dating from c.1790 to a former kitchen garden with attached lower walls from c.1806 that have excellent group value with Grade I Park House (Moggerhanger), the Grade II Stables, Ice House and Outbuildings, and the Grade II Registered Park and Garden.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.