History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canal Warehouse (Off Charlotte Street)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4829 / 52°28'58"N

Longitude: -1.9072 / 1°54'25"W

OS Eastings: 406401

OS Northings: 287224

OS Grid: SP064872

Mapcode National: GBR 5Y7.ST

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.WVMG

Plus Code: 9C4WF3MV+54

Entry Name: Canal Warehouse (Off Charlotte Street)

Listing Date: 29 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391264

English Heritage Legacy ID: 494059

Location: Birmingham, B3

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text


997/0/10392 Canal Warehouse (off Charlotte Street)
29-APR-04

GV II

Former warehouse, now part of museum complex. Mid- C19 with C20 alterations. Red brick with blue brick detailing. Single ridge stack and slate and C20 sheet roof covering.
PLAN: L-shaped plan, the long side of the building running parallel with the line of the former canal arm to the north-east.
EXTERIOR: North-east elevation exposed , remaining parts of exterior enclosed within the museum complex of which the building now forms part. 3 storeys, 9 bays, the left hand bay forming the gabled end of a return range. Ground floor windows with shallow blue brick segmental-arched heads, now blocked. First and second floor openings with blue brick semi-circular arched heads, the upper floor openings with cast-iron multi-pane frames. Gabled bay with blocked openings to upper floors.
INTERIOR: Interior altered to form museum display and storage areas, but retaining window reveals of now-enclosed south-west side wall. The solid floors are carried on flat plastered beams set between the window arches. The ground floor retains a hearth in a bay separated from the main body of the building by a thick brick wall.
HISTORY: The building formed part of the extensive Elkington Mason and Company's works, which covered a large site bounded by the Birmingham and Fazelely Canal, Newhall Street and Charlotte Street. Between 1795 and 1810, an extension to the canal, known as Whitmore's Arm was built which extended westwards into the south-western part of the Jewellery Quarter. A now-demolished wing of the canal warehouse spanned the watercourse.
A mid-C19 warehouse which formed part of an extensive factory complex, specifically sited adjacent to a canal arm. Warehousing was an important aspect of manufacture and distribution in the Jewellery Quarter, and surviving examples associated with the canal system are now rare.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.