This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3383 / 51°20'17"N
Longitude: -0.7505 / 0°45'1"W
OS Eastings: 487134
OS Northings: 160655
OS Grid: SU871606
Mapcode National: GBR D8T.32C
Mapcode Global: VHDXH.YM3D
Entry Name: Church of St Tarcisius
Listing Date: 3 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491955
Location: Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU15
District: Surrey Heath
Town: Surrey Heath
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michaels
Built-Up Area: Camberley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Camberley St Michael (York Town)
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
282/0/10018 LONDON ROAD
Church of St Tarcisius
Roman Catholic church. Built between 1923 and 1926 by F A WAlters specifically as a war memorial to British Catholic officers who died in the First World War, many of whom were trained at the Staff College or the Royal Military College at Sandhurst. Perpendicular style. Built of Bargate coursed stone rubble with Bath stone dressings and tiled roof. Comprises west tower with porch underneath and baptistery to the side, four bay nave with north aisle, lower two bay chancel and transepts with side chapels.
EXTERIOR: West tower of three stages has a crenellated parapet and arched and louvred windows to the bell chamber. Triple traceried window below, over west door with carved stone head and double doors. Offset buttresses. Baptistery to north has two cinquefoil-headed lights. Nave has two-light arched windows divided by buttresses and cross-shaped saddlestone to east. Gabled transepts with traceried windows. Chancel has elaborate five-light traceried east window and cross-shaped saddlestone.
INTERIOR: Marble memorial tablets inside porch. The nave has a pitch pine arched braced roof with kingposts and an arcade of Bath stone pointed arches supported on octagonal columns. The transepts have larger Bath stone arches on columns and there is a wooden gallery to the north transept. There is an octagonal carved stone pulpit and an octagonal stone font. The original oak pews survive. The south chapel has a carved reredos and the north Lady Chapel has triple arches and a stone reredos depicting the Virgin and Child and angels. The chancel has a barrel-vaulted pitch pine roof, carved white alabaster altar rail and carved Beer stone reredos with six canopies above Catholic saints and martyrs, St Tarcisius, St Pancras, St Augustine, St Patrick, St George and St Sebastian. Many stained glass windows are by Paul Woodroffe (1875-1954).
A well designed and unusually well-preserved 1920s Perpendicular style Bargate stone Catholic church built specificially as a War Memorial to British Catholic officers.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings