This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2814 / 51°16'52"N
Longitude: -0.2345 / 0°14'4"W
OS Eastings: 523228
OS Northings: 155061
OS Grid: TQ232550
Mapcode National: GBR JHD.MJK
Mapcode Global: VHGS2.W2D1
Entry Name: Cast Iron Electricity Sub Station
Listing Date: 14 February 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494851
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, KT20
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Tadworth and Walton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Kingswood St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
902/0/10018 DORKING ROAD
Cast Iron Electricity Sub-station
Electricity sub-station, early C20 believed to date from 1909. The sub-station stands in the grounds of Castle House, to the north of a building called Castle Lodge.
The sub-station is a small circular partially-decorated cast iron structure with three rows of panels. As the panels decrease in height from base to top, they become increasingly ornate. The top panel is decorated, and the middle panel has moulded bands at top and bottom. It is finished with a slightly sloping roof with a projecting cornice decorated with egg and dart ornament, and is surmounted by a foliated finial. The lower and middle panels contain two pairs of double doors on opposite sides with decorative hinges, which gives access to the internal workings. The sub-station is painted green.
This is a standard design of the early C20, made by the British Electric Transformer Company, based in Hayes in Middlesex. Five others are known to survive in situ and these are all listed.
This is a well-preserved example of this class of structure, and has merit as an illustration of industrial design for the early electricity industry.
The owners of Castle House in the early-C19, the Allom family, were proprietors of an electrical components business and installed the sub-station in order to bring electricity to their house and to those of their neighbours. It is likely to have been erected in 1909, but certainly before 1938 when it was adopted by the local electricity supply company.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE
This electricity substation was installed in c1909 by the owners of Castle House, proprietors of an electrical components business. This is a good in situ example of early electricity distribution equipment of a widely used and elegant design, illustrative of the quality of industrial design for the early electricity industry.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings