This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0165 / 53°0'59"N
Longitude: -1.2999 / 1°17'59"W
OS Eastings: 447066
OS Northings: 346805
OS Grid: SK470468
Mapcode National: GBR 7F8.VKD
Mapcode Global: WHDGJ.0F9V
Entry Name: War Memorial at Plumptree Way
Listing Date: 4 August 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 495784
Location: Eastwood, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG16
Civil Parish: Eastwood
Built-Up Area: Eastwood
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Greasley
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War Memorial at Plumptree Way
War memorial unveiled in March 1921. It was designed by a local company, Messrs Holbrook & Co, and built jointly by the Council and local tradesmen. The memorial is in the form of an obelisk and plinth sculpted in Italian marble and standing on a two stepped base of Whatstandwell (Derbyshire) stone.
The front of the obelisk has a carved wreath and the front of the plinth is carved with a crossed rifle, sword and standard and inscribed with "ERECTED IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF EASTWOOD, WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918, AND WORLD WAR 1939-1945.THE MEN WERE VERY GOOD UNTO US, AND WE WERE NOT HURT. THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US, BOTH BY NIGHT AND BY DAY.1 SAMUEL, CHAP 25, VERSES 15 & 16."
The other faces of the plinth are inscribed with the names of the dead from the two World Wars .The area around the memorial is laid with cobblestones .It is surrounded by a chain link fence and to its rear is a low brick wall. Originally dedicated to the town's dead of the First World War, the memorial was subsequently also dedicated to those who died in the Second World War.
The memorial ,including the cobblestones,was originally sited on a plot of land near to the Cemetery Chapel off Church Street (approximately 1 km away), but was moved to its present, more prominent, location in 1978.
Summary of Importance: War memorials have a strong historical and cultural significance on both local and national scales. This memorial, which was designed by Messrs Holbrook & Co and built jointly by the Council and local tradesmen, is a good example of an obelisk memorial. Unveiled in 1921, it was originally dedicated to the dead of the First World War and subsequently also dedicated to the dead of the Second World War. It is of sufficient merit to be listed at Grade II.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings