This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8816 / 50°52'53"N
Longitude: -1.2967 / 1°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 449575
OS Northings: 109353
OS Grid: SU495093
Mapcode National: GBR 886.P0D
Mapcode Global: FRA 865R.W3V
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493188
Location: Fareham, Hampshire, SO31
Electoral Ward/Division: Sarisbury
Built-Up Area: Locks Heath/Warsash/Whiteley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Sarisbury St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
899/0/10031 BRIDGE ROAD
26-SEP-05 Lower Swanwick
Baptist chapel. Main range dated 1844 on datestone on front gable, vestry added to rear c1870 and minor late C20 alterations. Main range is single storey of brick with gabled slate roof with overhanging eaves and there is a lower rendered gabled vestry to the rear.
EXTERIOR: The front elevation is in Flemish bond with some grey headers with a rendered plinth. The gable has a central datestone flanked by round-headed blank openings. Central wide doorcase with double doors, each with three fielded panels, and simple flat slate hood supported on simple scrolled wooden brackets. The northern side elevation is in Flemish garden wall bond with three brick pilasters and there are two 15-pane sash windows without horns in rebated frames with stone cills. There is a small C20 top opening casement window added close to the front wall to light a later internal lobby. The southern side elevation is identical except tht it has five pilasters. The rear vestry appears to date from c1870 and has a sash window with horns and a planked vestry door.
INTERIOR: Simple plastered vaulted ceiling and plastered walls with plain wainscot panelling. There is a simple wood panelled pulpit on a plinth with steps to left with plain balusters, handrail and column newel. There are fourteen C19 wooden pews with curved ends, possibly original. A marble plaque on the wall behind the pulpit commemorates George Harding who preached for "nearly 60 years" and built the chapel in 1844 "with the kind help of friends". Internal fittings also include a row of hat or coat hooks mounted on boards with simple moulding to top and bottom attached to the side walls at head height.
HISTORY: Prior to 1844 local Baptist meetings were held in a boathouse and this church was built with help from John Moody, owner of the adjoining local boatyard on the River Hamble.
A substantially intact small 1844 Baptist chapel retaining many original fittings, unusually with links to a local boatyard and having group value.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings