History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holyfield House

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7617 / 51°45'42"N

Longitude: -1.2685 / 1°16'6"W

OS Eastings: 450584

OS Northings: 207251

OS Grid: SP505072

Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.J3Z

Mapcode Global: VHCXM.YZSD

Entry Name: Holyfield House

Listing Date: 7 October 2008

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1392943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 493671

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: North

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text


612/0/10129 WALTON WELL ROAD
07-OCT-08 1
Holyfield House

II
BUILDING: Former house, now estate agents' premises. Built in association with Lucy's Ironworks.

DATE: 1891

ARCHITECT: J.C. Curtis

MATERIALS: Fine yellow brick with carved ashlar dressings to front; buff brick gables ends and chimneys; slate roof; cast iron balcony railings.

PLAN: Roughly square. Central hall.

FAƇADE: Two storeys, attic and basement. Double front with variety of carved ashlar detail: rusticated pilaster strips with small scroll caps; acanthus scroll frieze with dentil cornice, carried round central pediment gable; large pineapple finials. Canted bay windows with guilloche parapets and plate-glass sashes in stop-chamfered ashlar surrounds; eaves-line dormers with ashlar side scrolls, segmental lead roofs and rendered cheeks. Centre has large round-arched tripartite window to first floor, and three smaller arched lights to gable. First-floor balcony with elaborate cast iron balustrading. Doorway below has concentric round arches, richly carved spandrels (with cornucopiae, acanthus and vine scrolls), marble colonnettes with carved caps, and painted glass to side and top lights. 6-panel door with decorative studs. Flanking sections of ground-floor balcony have scrolled cast iron standards.

INTERIORS: Not seen.

HISTORY: Said to have been built as a house for the master of Lucy's Ironworks. Used as Catholic Workers' College 1921-55, then as Lucy's Social Club.

SOURCES: A. Spokes Symonds, The Changing Faces of North Oxford Book 2 (1999)

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This prominent late C19 building, already in the North Oxford Victorian Suburb Conservation Area, used grand architectural forms, lavish carved ashlar detail and elaborate cast iron balconies as a means of advertising for the adjoining Ironworks. It merits being added to the list at grade II.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.