This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7619 / 51°45'43"N
Longitude: -1.2696 / 1°16'10"W
OS Eastings: 450504
OS Northings: 207281
OS Grid: SP505072
Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.HTT
Mapcode Global: VHCXM.YZ55
Entry Name: 11-25, Walton Well Road
Listing Date: 7 October 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493672
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/0/10130 WALTON WELL ROAD
BUILDING: Terrace of 8 houses.
ARCHITECT: Built by the speculative brothers, Curtis Brothers.
MATERIALS: Yellow brick with flush red and blue brick strings and arches, and offset red eaves with yellow dentils; stone window dressings; steep slate roof; brick chimneys.
PLAN: Linear row
FAÇADE: Terrace of 8 houses. 1883. Built by architects, Curtis Brothers. 2 storeys and attic. 8 gables to front, 2 to centre stepped with stone coping.
Each house has a canted ground-floor bay window with hipped slate roof, and a first-floor sash with a rounded brick arch over a carved stone tympanum. Tympana illustrate 9 Old Testament scenes of the life of Elijah, including Elijah being fed by ravens, Elijah with his mantle dividing the Jordan, and Elijah ascending to heaven in a fiery chariot. Further sash in gable above. No. 11 has double front with gabled dormer to left. All sashes have original marginal glazing and ovolo-moulded ashlar jambs. To left of each house is a porch recess with brick arch to front, stone steps, 4-panel door, very narrow side lights and marginally-glazed toplight. Nos. 19 and 25 retain garden paths with diaper-pattern tiles.
INTERIORS: Not seen.
HISTORY: Terrace of 8 houses built by the speculative builders, Curtis Brothers in 1883. This was at a time when the meadows lying east of the Oxford canal in the Walton Bridge area, which had formerly been at the edge of north Oxford surburban development, were built upon for extensive residential terraced housing. Preceding the surburban housing growth, several factories had been sited along the canal, southwards from Walton Bridge. This particular terrace is situated adjacent to the Eagle ironworks, founded in 1826.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This is a late terrace of 1883, but of special interest for its series of carved stone tympana over the first-floor windows. These tympana illustrate Old Testament scenes of the life of Elijah and are intricately carved with small figures, animals, rocks and foliage. The terrace is also of interest for its complete set of marginally glazed sashes, rare at this late date. Doors, with side lights and marginally glazed over lights are also original, and the character of the terrace remains unaltered and strongly distinctive. Its otherwise simple architectural style suggests a strong moral flavour that accords with the biblical theme. Recommended for listing.
SOURCES: Oxford City Engineers' Archives 832A OS
Other nearby listed buildings