History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stables, Carriage House and Other Outbuildings to West and South West of Stable Block at Moggerhanger House

A Grade II Listed Building in Mogerhanger, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1243 / 52°7'27"N

Longitude: -0.3436 / 0°20'36"W

OS Eastings: 513493

OS Northings: 248625

OS Grid: TL134486

Mapcode National: GBR H3N.XL4

Mapcode Global: VHGMS.0V6W

Entry Name: Former Stables, Carriage House and Other Outbuildings to West and South West of Stable Block at Moggerhanger House

Listing Date: 1 February 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 495148

Location: Mogerhanger, Central Bedfordshire, MK44

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Mogerhanger

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Moggerhanger St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Willington

Listing Text

MOGERHANGER

348/3/10012 Former stables, carriage house and oth
01-FEB-10 er outbuildings to west and south west
of stable block at Moggerhanger House

GV II
Former stables, carriage house and outbuildings, constructed 1806 and 1810-12, with later alterations, by Sir John Soane for Stephen Thornton.

MATERIALS
Red brick and paler red-brown brick with slate roofs.

EXTERIOR
The former carriage house, 1810-12 and altered C20, lies to the west of the principal Stable Block (Grade II) and is linked to it by a brick wall with an archway. Single storey, of 3 bays, with the remnants of original coach-house doors, the central section rebuilt with metal frame windows.

To the south-west of the stable yard is the earlier stable and coach-house range, dating from 1806, also single-storey, which comprises a stable to the left (east) with two original doors and two high windows and beyond an altered door, all with fine gauged brick lintels. Adjoining to the right is a late C19 lower link building with a 4-light casement and a door with flanking single casements (this in position of the original dung heap). To the right of the lower link building are adjoining former stables. The five original stable doors filled with brick and 4 large cross casement windows. The original jambs with their hinges are clearly visible. The final, fifth, window to the right contains a C20 glazed door. The upper parts of all these windows are horizontal sliding sashes which may well be original.

To the right of the 1806 stable and coach house range, set at right angles, is a former engine house of 1810-12 with single doorway to left and a two-light casement to right.

INTERIOR
The engine house retains remnants of the horse engine and drive mechanism. This presumably drove chopping and other machinery in the stables.

HISTORY
Godfrey Thornton was Governor of the Bank of England, and died in 1805. Sir John Soane, who was surveyor to the Bank of England and undertook its rebuilding from 1788, carried out the first remodelling for him at Moggerhanger Park in 1791-92. The outbuildings were designed by Soane and built in two phases, 1806 and 1810-12, as part of the remodelling of the house for Godfrey's son Stephen, carried out at a total cost of £21,000.

SOURCES
Boutwood, J, 'Mogerhanger Park' Bedfordshire Magazine (1956) Vol 5 No. 38.
Cooper, J, 'A Guide to Moggerhanger House' (2005)
Inskip P and Jenkins P, 'Mogerhanger House, Bedfordshire, a historical summary with illustrations' (1994)
Stroud D, 'The Architecture of Sir John Soane' (1961)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The former stables, carriage house and outbuildings to the west and south-west of the principal stable block at Moggerhanger House are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* These outbuildings were designed by Sir John Soane and are an integrated part of the very significant group of Soane buildings at Moggerhanger Park, which includes Moggerhanger House (Grade I)
* The group includes an engine house which retains elements of a horse engine, an increasingly rare survival

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Reasons for Listing

The former stables, carriage house and outbuildings to the west and south-west of the principal stable block at Mogerhanger House have been designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* These outbuildings were designed by Sir John Soane and are an integrated part of the very significant group of Soane buildings at Moggerhanger Park, which includes Moggerhanger House (Grade I)
* The outbuildings include an engine house which retains elements of a horse engine, an increasingly rare survival

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.