History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Gas Showroom

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6043 / 52°36'15"N

Longitude: 1.7298 / 1°43'47"E

OS Eastings: 652646

OS Northings: 307253

OS Grid: TG526072

Mapcode National: GBR YQZ.L54

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.JSXW

Entry Name: Former Gas Showroom

Listing Date: 5 March 2010

Last Amended: 1 June 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 506055

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


839-1/0/10015 KING STREET
05-MAR-10 39-40
Former Gas Showroom

(Listed in error as:
KING STREET
39-49
FORMER GAS SHOWROOM)

II

839-1/0/10015 KING STREET
05-MAR-10 39-40
Former Gas Showroom

II
A purpose-built gas showroom of 1912, with adjoining rear workshops of 1904. Designer unknown.

MATERIALS
The showroom and workshop are constructed of red brick laid in Flemish bond with stone dressings and slate-covered gable roofs.

PLAN
Rectangular; the workshop has an 'L'-shaped plan.

EXTERIOR
The showroom is of three-storeys and five-bays wide on the upper storeys with two segmental arches forming the show windows and entrance on the ground floor. The main section of the slate-covered roof runs parallel to the street and has a gable at either end. A parapet runs along the top of the building below which is a stone cornice supported in heavy details. On the façade, the three-bay right-hand side of the building is defined by pilasters with finials at roof level. Projecting slightly forward, it is topped by a gable with decorative red brickwork in a chequer-board design with horizontal stone banding and a stone edging supported on dentils terminating in single roundels. The gable is surmounted with a 1912 date stone with pediment above and an additional 2008 date plaque added beneath. The second floor has three segmental headed windows to the right bay and two to the left with stone dressings, a fluted keystone and stone sills supported on shallow corbels. Each window has two-over-two sliding sashes. The first floor has the same window configuration as the second floor except that the sills are immediately above a delicate dentilled string course which forms the upper border of the blank shop fascia which runs along the front of the building and which once supported the name of the Great Yarmouth Gas Company on the right bay and the phrase 'Lighting and Heating' to the left. At ground floor level are two elliptical headed display windows with rusticated voussoirs and heavy triple keystones which once supported a projecting gas lamp. The original fenestration of large panes of glass with opening lights above the transom survives. The right-hand window contains the doorway into the building consisting of double wooden doors flanked by colonettes, decorated with acanthus leaves, which support a moulded lintel. The left-hand display window retains the original 'show rooms' enamel lettering. The north elevation has a plain brick, pier and panel gable with two casement windows. Beneath, the first and second floors have six windows with segmental brick surrounds, separated by piers running the height of the building and horizontal stone string courses between each floor. On the ground floor there is a display window in the same style as on the façade.

The workshop to the rear is constructed from red brick laid in Flemish bond and is L-shaped with a slated, gable roof and chimney with moulded cornice. The first and second floors have arched windows with brick surrounds and stone lintels, six of which appear to have original glazing of 12 lights. Above the central window on the main range is a datestone with the initials of the Great Yarmouth Gas Company and the date 1904. The north elevation has an arched entrance at ground level, next to the display window.

INTERIOR
The main entrance into the showroom leads to a timber and glass inner porch with a rubber mat detailed with the name of the Great Yarmouth Gas Company. Beyond, the main showroom has a decorated plaster ceiling, wooden panelling, parquet flooring and a raised timber dais forming a display area in the windows, stepping up to the cashier's platform. Immediately beyond the entrance door is a timber double-return staircase, lit from the first floor landing by a stained glass window. The first floor showroom occupies the front of the building and retains original joinery. The queen and king post roof trusses are exposed on the second floor.

The workshop retains floorboards and glazing and the workings of a gas lift at second floor.

HISTORY
The Great Yarmouth Gas Company had offices at 39/40 King Street since at least 1869, but is known to have based its showroom at 42 King Street for a number of years before building the workshops in 1904, followed by the purposed-built showroom in 1912, on the site of two Georgian houses. Historic photographs of the exterior and interior confirm that the showroom is little altered. The rear workshop has a small single-storey extension to the rear, but most of the fixtures and fittings have been lost, including the gas-powered lift which has been removed to a museum. This is a very good example of a purpose built gas showroom: the earliest known is in Derby, datin from 1889.

SOURCES
English Heritage 'Former Gas Showroom, 39-40 King Street, Great Yarmouth' Unpublished Architectural Investigation Report (2009).
Harrod and Co, 'Directory of Norfolk and Lowestoft' (1877), p.770
Kelly's Directory of Norfolk (1904), p.562
Kelly's Directory of Norfolk (1912), p. 589
Palmer 'The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth' (1872)
Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk, Part 2: Norfolk,(1869), p.507
Pevsner, N and Wilson, B 'The Buildings of England: Norfolk 1 Norwich and the North-East' 2nd Ed (1997), pp 488-529
White, W 'History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk,' (1890), p.1126

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The former gas showroom (1912) and adjoining workshop (1904), 39/40 King Street Great Yarmouth, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: The showroom has a thoughtful design with meticulous attention to detail to the display windows and façade.
* Intactness: The building has been little altered.
* Interiors: The plan-form and many of the interior fixtures and fittings survive.
* Rarity: This is a rare surviving building type, with only five examples of comparable quality designated nationally; this is one of the very earliest surviving gas showrooms.


This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.