This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3595 / 51°21'34"N
Longitude: -2.345 / 2°20'41"W
OS Eastings: 376075
OS Northings: 162325
OS Grid: ST760623
Mapcode National: GBR 0QQ.MZB
Mapcode Global: VH96T.93N4
Entry Name: Union Chapel
Listing Date: 5 August 1975
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1394024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 509416
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Combe Down
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CHURCH ROAD Combe Down
Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1815, altered 1880 and 1909
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, slate roofs.
PLAN: Plain gabled range, but with second, later gabled hall range to right built c1900.
EXTERIOR: Chapel has small arched light above cornice to gable, then tall segmental headed lights flanking central porch with pilasters, deep frieze and cornice, with blocking coursed raised at centre, over pair of panelled doors. Second gable has lean-to porch across front with cambered arch lights flanking flush panelled door with fanlight, to left of main front later flat roofed extension brought forward to match this porch. Gables are raised and coped. Rear has two-light pointed windows and small rose.
INTERIOR: Inspected by Bath Council 1994. Chapel pews, south Chapel windows, one original retains 15mm ovolo moulded glazing bars. Circular grille with moulded plated frame in the centre of ceiling.
HISTORY: This chapel was built to provide Combe Down¿s artisanal population with a place of worship (a very characteristic foundation of this date): the Argyle Street Independent Chapel played a leading role in this. The union referred to the mix of Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans who worshipped here. In 1880 extensive repairs were carried out and the box pews removed. The building originally to the right was a schoolroom; a much larger one was added to the left in 1891, and much enlarged in 1909. The adjoining burial ground was used from 1828 to 1916.
SOURCE: Peter Addison, Around Combe Down (1998), 126-131.
Listing NGR: ST7607562325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings