This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4461 / 52°26'45"N
Longitude: -1.8862 / 1°53'10"W
OS Eastings: 407833
OS Northings: 283131
OS Grid: SP078831
Mapcode National: GBR 63P.F0
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.8S66
Entry Name: War Memorial to the South-East of the Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 October 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1394263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 508527
Location: Birmingham, B13
Electoral Ward/Division: Moseley and Kings Heath
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Moseley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
997/0/10538 ST MARY'S ROW
14-OCT-10 War Memorial to the south-east of the
Church of St Mary
A War Memorial, commemorating the dead of the First World War, erected in the 1920s. The monument is of Portland stone with rectangular slate tablets which bear the names of the dead. A rectangular platform supports a square plinth, which has canted steps to its lower body and, above these, four inset slate tablets. To the south-east side is an inscription which reads 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD / IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 + 1919'. Other panels show the names of the fallen grouped according to the year of their death. Above these, the chamfered base has panels of blind tracery, and at either side are moulded brackets which support carved mourning figures of Mary, Mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene to either side of the cross. The cross bears the slumped body of Christ wearing a crown of thorns, and there is a gablet to the top.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The war memorial to the south-east of the Church of St Mary, St Mary's Row, Birmingham is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Design: its iconography, showing the crucified Jesus, flanked by the two Marys, is unusual for an Anglican war memorial and is well executed.
* Architectural: the memorial is a strong composition, well suited to its prominent site in the raised churchyard above St Mary's Row.
* Intactness: the memorial appears to have suffered no loss or alteration.
* Historic interest: a permanent testament to the sacrifice of The Fallen in the First World War.
* Group value: with the Church of St Mary (Grade II).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 18 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings