This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3852 / 51°23'6"N
Longitude: -2.3629 / 2°21'46"W
OS Eastings: 374843
OS Northings: 165187
OS Grid: ST748651
Mapcode National: GBR 0QH.3FQ
Mapcode Global: VH96M.0F6Z
Plus Code: 9C3V9JPP+3R
Entry Name: 3-11, Miles's Buildings
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1395725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 511135
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Bath St Michael Without
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
Nos 3-11 (consec))
Nine terrace houses. 1760-1770 with early C19 alterations. By John Wood the Younger.
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar facades, coursed rubblestone to the rear, double pitched slate mansard roofs with moulded stacks to party walls.
PLAN: Double depth plans.
EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attics and basements. Continuous coped parapet and cornice slightly returned to the left, Ground floor platband and plinth. Formerly with six/six-pane sash windows and six-panel doors, many glazed to top, under shallow hoods on consoles. Rears formerly had tripartite windows to upper floors, some now have added attic storeys or full height canted bays. No.3 to right single window range with thick glazing bars to upper floors, those to Venetian first floor window has Gothic glazing bars, eight/eight-pane sash to ground floor. No.4 has single window range with thick glazing bars to second floor, plate glass sashes to Venetian window to first floor and two windows with splayed reveals to ground floor. Pediment over five-panel door glazed to top to left. No.5 has single window range with thick glazing bars to tripartite upper floor windows, splayed reveals to six/six-pane sash to left of door. No.6 was formerly similar to No.5. First floor early C19 restored balcony with trellised supports to swept canopy lead ornaments to vertical railings. Centre of former tripartite window has margin pane French windows. No.7 has two-window range, painted to ground floor, with splayed reveals to six/six-pane sash windows. No.8 has two-window range, painted to ground floor and painted reveals to six/six-pane sash windows. No.9 has two-window range, added attic storey has two three/six-pane sash windows, lintel of window to second floor right has been raised and cuts into cornice, painted reveals, ground floor painted with splayed reveals. No.10 has two-window range with plate glass windows, roof has been altered to enlarge attic, painted splayed reveals, six/six-pane sash with to right of ground floor. No.11, two-window range left terminal, has similar enlarged attic with paired six/six-pane sashes to dormers, six/six-pane sashes to upper floors and eight/eight-pane sash to ground floor left.
INTERIORS: Not inspected, except No.6 recorded by Bath Preservation Trust 1994. Cantilevered wooden staircase, mahogany rail and turned newel, some other original features remain in situ. No. 11 recorded by Bath Preservation Trust 1993: many of its original features in situ.
SOURCES: (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 152; ).
Listing NGR: ST7484365187
Other nearby listed buildings