This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8378 / 50°50'16"N
Longitude: 0.4778 / 0°28'39"E
OS Eastings: 574558
OS Northings: 107182
OS Grid: TQ745071
Mapcode National: GBR PXD.FLN
Mapcode Global: FRA C6WW.HXR
Plus Code: 9F22RFQH+44
Entry Name: Seafront shelter on De La Warr Parade between junctions of Sea Road and Brassey Road
Listing Date: 15 February 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1413130
Location: Rother, East Sussex, TN40
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Sackville
Built-Up Area: Bexhill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Bexhill St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Seafront shelter, 1890s.
DATE: built in 1896, the roof re-tiled in the 1930s.
MATERIALS: it is a wooden structure on a concrete plinth with a tiled roof.
PLAN: the plan is an elongated decahedron with entrance on the south or seaward side.
EXTERIOR: the hipped roof has overhanging eaves with a scalloped valance and is supported on scalloped brackets with circular cutouts. The walls have chamfered piers and top panels with curved sides over vertical boards with small trefoil-shaped cutouts. Except for the two central panels on the seaward side, the wall panels have ornamental curved brackets and central piers which were later glazed over, and solid lower panels.
INTERIOR: the interior has a boarded wooden ceiling with carved ribs incorporating two moulded circular pendants. The lower wall panels are fielded.
This building appears on two photographs taken by Francis Frith in 1896. It formed part of the improvements undertaken by the 8th Earl De La Warr during the 1890s which also included the erection of monumental gates across Marine Parade, since demolished and the Kursaal, demolished in 1936. The building is shown on the 1899 six inch map of Sussex. There is a suggestion that it was built as the box office of the Kursaal but in fact the 1896 photographs show that there was a separate nearby box office building and this building was probably purpose-built as a shelter. It is shown in further photographs of 1899 and 1903 with a tiled roof with bands of ornamental tiles and cresting. In a 1927 photograph the structure is called a bandstand.
A seafront shelter on De La Warr Parade, between the junctions of Sea Road and Brassey Road, is listed for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: a well crafted and decorative wooden shelter with an unusual ten sided plan;
* Degree of completeness: substantially complete except for subsequent roof re-tiling and glazing in of the side panels;
* Historical: one of the surviving features of the 8th Earl de La Warr's development of Bexhill;
* Group Value: one of a group of four seaside shelters along De La Warr Parade.
Other nearby listed buildings