This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1623 / 55°9'44"N
Longitude: -1.5763 / 1°34'34"W
OS Eastings: 427090
OS Northings: 585412
OS Grid: NZ270854
Mapcode National: GBR K8FR.J8
Mapcode Global: WHC2S.RHKW
Entry Name: Stakeford and Bomarsund War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440525
Location: North Bedlington, Northumberland, NE62
Civil Parish: Choppington
Built-Up Area: Stakeford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Choppington St Paul the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands outside Stakeford and Bomarsund War Memorial Hall (opened 1922, not listed). It takes the form of a tall granite column standing in front of a panel. The column is raised on a small plinth, square on plan. At the top of the column a small wreath, suspended from the abacus, is carved in low relief. The commemorated names are listed below on the column shaft.
The principal dedicatory inscription is recorded to the front face of the plinth, reading IN MEMORY/ OF THOSE/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919. Low flanking panels with curved tops each bear a small granite tablet recording the commemorated Second World War names.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Stakeford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 3 February 1923 by Sir Loftus Bates KCMG CB DSO and dedicated by the Vicar of Cambois, Reverend R Good. It commemorates 70 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War the memorial was moved a few metres from the very front of the War Memorial Hall to one side, and panels for Second World War commemoration were added. The newly-added names of 22 men who fell in that conflict were unveiled on 9 October 1949 by Dr HS Brown, president of the local British Legion Branch, and re-dedicated by Reverend T Clough.
Stakeford and Bomarsund War Memorial, which stands in front of the War Memorial Hall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant memorial column in the Classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings