This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4854 / 51°29'7"N
Longitude: -0.1082 / 0°6'29"W
OS Eastings: 531448
OS Northings: 177968
OS Grid: TQ314779
Mapcode National: GBR MP.VP
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.2XMP
Entry Name: Kennington War Memorial
Listing Date: 21 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441730
Location: Lambeth, London, SE11
Electoral Ward/Division: Newington
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Kennington Park St Agnes
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
First World War Memorial, with an additional inscription for the Fallen of the Second World War.
A slightly tapering Cenotaph standing on a low stepped base with a small wall behind it. On the upper section of the front the memorial contains a carving of a wreath, within which is the insignia of the Queen's London Regiment 24th Battalion (the Paschal Lamb holding a flag; also a symbol associated with Lambeth).
Below this, on a slightly protruding stone plaque, are the words: THIS INSCRIPTION IS ADDED / TO COMMEMORATE / THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE / 1st 7th AND 2nd 7th BATTALIONS / THE QUEEN'S ROYAL REGIMENT / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / 1939 - 1945. Below, towards the bottom of the cenotaph, it reads: 1914 - 1918 / REMEMBER THE FALLEN / 1 24th AND 2 24th (COUNTY OF LONDON BATTALIONS) / THE LONDON REGIMENT (THE QUEEN'S) / FRANCE AND FLANDERS SALONIKA PALESTINE. A more elaborate carving set into a square shape on the back of the memorial reads: THEIR / NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE / ECCLIASTICAS XLIV 14. On the sides of the memorial are two protruding stone plaques listing the campaigns fought - on the right side: 2nd 7th QUEENS / FRANCE 1940 / TUNIS-SALERNO-VALTURNO / CASSINO-ANZIO / GOTHIC LINE / LOMBARDY-VENETIA and on the left: 1st 7th QUEENS / DUNKIRK 1940 / ALAMEIN-TRIPOLI-MARETH / TUNIS-SALERNO-VOLTURNO / NORMANDY 1944 / FRANCE-FLANDERS-HOLLAND.
On either side of the cenotaph are two large stone plant pots (possibly from the 1951 Festival of Britain Gardens in Battersea Park).
Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the railings around the war memorial are not of special architectural or historic interest.
The memorial commemorates the Fallen of the Queen's London Regiment 24th Battalion. It was designed by Captain Thomas Lodge, a former officer in the battalion, with the approval of the London County Council as owners of the park. It was unveiled on 19 July 1924 in a ceremony attended by Maj Gen Sir William Thwaites and the Bishop of Kingston. The location was an apt one as during the war Kennington Park had been used for army training purposes and it hosted several tented billets, as well being the scene of 19 July 1919 Peace Day festivities. Furthermore the Queen's London Regiment were based nearby on Braganza Street.
On Remembrance Sunday 1947 additional stone panels were added to commemorate the Fallen of the Second World War (at a cost of £57 11s 9d). They detail the various fields of combat in which the 7th (Southwark) Battalion, Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) participated. They were unveiled by the President of the Old Comrades Association.
The front of the memorial formerly bore a brass plaque of a cannon replete with a festoon of flags, as well as another brass plaque running around the bottom of the cenotaph section. These were removed/lost at some point after 1947 (whereabouts unknown).
In October 2011, following a fundraising campaign led by the Friends of Kennington Park, the memorial was cleaned and the by then fading letters re-cut by local stonemasons Szerelmey Ltd. In 2012 Lambeth Council paid for the re-carving of the 1939-45 Battle Honours.
In July 2014 a re-dedication ceremony was held to mark the 90th anniversary of the memorial's unveiling, attended by, among others, the Mayor of Lambeth, Regiment representatives and local school children. It continues to form the focus of the annual Remembrance Day commemorations for the area.
At the back of the memorial is a hedge; the whole memorial complex is surrounded by a black metal fence (which is not included in the listing).
Kennington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the Queen's London Regiment 24th Battalion, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a dignified and well-proportioned cenotaph;
* Group value: located in a prominent position in the registered Kennington Park.
Other nearby listed buildings