This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6733 / 57°40'23"N
Longitude: -2.178 / 2°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 389482
OS Northings: 864838
OS Grid: NJ894648
Mapcode National: GBR N8ZF.WCY
Mapcode Global: WH9N5.JD2F
Entry Name: Dundarg Castle (House)
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330212
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Aberdeenshire)
Electoral Ward: Troup
Parish: Aberdour (Aberdeenshire)
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1937-8. 2-storey, castellated house constructed mainly of
re-used material, the masonry mostly from former Aberdour
Free Church and with interior fittings from there and
elsewhere. Dark whinstone rubble, extensive use of tooled
grey granite dressings.
Asymmetrical, wide, 3-bay S elevation with recessed centre
block with Tudor arched entrance with panelled door and
re-used coat of arms above. Advanced and gabled bay at right
(E) with 2 ground and 2 1st floor windows; W bay formed by S
elevation of 2-storey square tower with SE angle bartizan at
1st floor level incorporating chimney. Crenellated wallhead
to tower and centre portion of S elevation.
Principal entrance in W gable; pointed-headed doorway with
double-leaf panelled door set in shallow gabled doorpiece,
reconstructed from the Free Church. Regular fenestration with
small windows in asymmetrical N elevation. Most 1st floor
windows are pointed-headed; 4- and 12-pane glazing. Coped
centre stack; slate roof with tiled ridge.
Arched carriage entrance to forecourt W of tower, central
bellcote (with bell) links house to rubble screen wall.
INTERIOR: entrance hall (in base of tower) with RAF crest
above fireplace and long stair window with re-used stained
glass incorporating small RAF crest. Panelled passage and
drawing room, all panelling together with door frames,
panelled doors re-used from elsewhere. Granite chimneypiece
in drawing room with scroll balusters supporting mantel shelf
and carved Tudor style over-mantel. Extensive re-use of
wooden fittings upstairs, with (?medieval) cresting to
landing balustrade, and further re-use of doors, door frames
and chimneypieces with over-mantels.
Dundarg Castle, the promontory fort with associated moat is a
Scheduled Ancient Monument No 2450. The house is sited within
the scheduled area.
Dundarg Castle (House) built by Air Vice Marshall Carnegie in
1937-8 mainly from the demolished Aberdour Free Church.
Panelled doors, dados, moulded door frames etc came from
other sources. The small RAF crest inserted in a window in
the entrance hall recalls the Service connection of its
The bell in the arched entrance bellcote is inscribed
Re-scheduled area 29th. January 2004.
Other nearby listed buildings