This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.0148 / 57°0'53"N
Longitude: -3.3915 / 3°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 315604
OS Northings: 792374
OS Grid: NO156923
Mapcode National: GBR W1.D01P
Mapcode Global: WH6M8.WY69
Entry Name: Braemar Castle, Including Ancillary Structures
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1628 with 1748 additions and mid-19th century internal modifications (see Notes.) L-plan tower house with 5-storey round tower in re-entrant angle, crenellated angle turrets and surrounded by star-shaped crenellated military curtain wall. Prominently situated on raised mound on S side of River Dee. Harled granite.
Variety of fenestration. Some windows retain 17th century iron grilles. Mixture of timber sash and case, and casement windows, some with 12 panes and some with 4-pane below and 12 pane above. Broad stacks rising from gables.
INTERIOR: maintains largely extant floor plan of 18th century garrison on lower floors and nineteenth century home on the upper floors with many original features. Yett gate at main door. Stone turnpike stair with timber panelling. Well-detailed, decorative cornicing; classical chimneypieces in larger public rooms. Timber 3-panel doors. Simple tiled chimneypieces in upper rooms. Vaulted rooms in basement, one with grill entrance to pit prison below.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: round rustic timber summerhouse with conical thatched roof to W. To N, single storey timber cottages with predominantly timber sash and case windows.
The castle holds a prominent position on Deeside, both visually and historically. Although changed since its inception, it retains original elements from all the periods when it was extended or reconstructed. Built for the 7th Earl of Mar as a hunting lodge, it was attacked by the John Farquharson of Inverey in 1689 when it was extensively damaged by fire. From 1748-97 it became a government barracks, when John Adam, in his post as Master Mason to the Board of Ordnance in Scotland, helped with the reconstruction. At this time, the original conical roofed turrets were heightened and given crenellations, and the curtain wall was established. It was then restored in the mid nineteenth century to become a family home for the Farquharsons. Recently a museum (until 2005) Curtain wall de-scheduled in 1996.
Other nearby listed buildings