This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0465 / 56°2'47"N
Longitude: -4.911 / 4°54'39"W
OS Eastings: 218790
OS Northings: 687559
OS Grid: NS187875
Mapcode National: GBR 06.R0Q7
Mapcode Global: WH2LV.J9N0
Entry Name: Ardentinny Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330282
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB86
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Ardentinny Church, built in 1838-9, is a rectangular gable-fronted church with a gabled porch and a small bellcote. It is simple in its design and largely without ornament, but reflects well on the status of Ardentinny at the time, a small village, reliant on fishing and ferry traffic.
For its position in the development of Ardentinny, its prominent and picturesque location and the contribution it makes to the streetscape, in particular in relation to the adjacent cottages, as well as for its unaltered condition, is found to be of specific interest.
The entrance to the church (on the NW elevation) is through a basket-arched door with a chamfered ashlar surround. The two-leaf panelled timber door has a plain fanlight above. Both the main church building and the front porch have saddle-backed skews. The bellcote to the apex is on a dentilled plinth, with stop-chamfered round-arched openings. The side elevations consist of three large 16-lying-pane timber sash and case windows. To the rear is a small projection containing the vestry. To the front of the church is a rubble boundary wall with semicircular copes.
Interior: the interior is largely undecorated, with timber boarding to dado height and plain timber pews. Behind the altar is a dark timber sounding-board and canopy. The flat ceiling, at collar height is decorated only with a plain cornice and linear mouldings.
Materials: white painted harled rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Graded slate roof. Timber sash and case windows.
The church at Ardentinny was built in 1838-9, paid for by Archibald Douglas, the Laird of Glenfinart, who had recently purchased the estate (Ardentinny Pamphlet, 2004). Initially, the church was a Chapel of Ease or preaching station, probationers of the church acting as parochial missionaries (New Statistical Account, 1845). From 1874 Ardentinny Church had its own minister but since 1932 the church has shared a minister with Strone church.
Part of a B-group with Blinkbonny, Raglan, Fern Cottage and Glencairn immediately to the S (see separate listing).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings