This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7531 / 55°45'11"N
Longitude: -4.6302 / 4°37'48"W
OS Eastings: 235027
OS Northings: 654215
OS Grid: NS350542
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BJHB
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.VN9G
Entry Name: 35a Wilson Street, Newton House
Listing Date: 25 April 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330322
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB117
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Later 19th century. Single storey 3-bay classical villa. Central pilastered door with entablature; flanking windows in slightly advanced bays with stop-chamfered roll-moulded reveals, raised cills and entablatures. Slightly battered base course; raised angle margins; cornice and blocking course breaking forward over windows and doorpiece. Painted stugged coursed sandstone with painted ashlar margins.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey and attic. 1 gabled dormer to L with sawtooth skews; 1 late 19th century piended canted dormer.
Timber sash and case replacement windows in traditional style, 6-pane upper sashes, 9-pane lower; uPVC windows to rear. Grey slates; sawtooth skews; stone ridge; cavetto corniced ashlar end stacks with moulded octagonal clay cans.
INTERIOR: cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail to stair; Original timber chimneypiece with cast-iron insert; timber panelled doors with 6 fields to ground, 4 fields to doors in attic.
This is a smart single storey villa. The classical elements and the sawtooth skews make the building distinctive in Wilson Street where most other houses or cottages are of a more vernacular nature. A smaller dwelling is marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1858 but by 1897 this has been replaced by the present larger building. Painting of the exterior walls, skews and stacks has altered the character of the villa however, as it was not originally intended to be painted. The elevation to the street beneath the paint is coursed sandstone rubble and the surrounds to the openings are dressed ashlar.
Other nearby listed buildings