This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5138 / 55°30'49"N
Longitude: -2.5901 / 2°35'24"W
OS Eastings: 362830
OS Northings: 624610
OS Grid: NT628246
Mapcode National: GBR B4CP.18
Mapcode Global: WH8Y9.5NVW
Entry Name: Ancrum Village, the Cross Keys
Listing Date: 14 March 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330419
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB225
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Jedburgh and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Earlier to mid 19th century, later additions at rear, refaced and interior refitted 1906. 2-storey inn, comprising 2-bay pend entrance and 3-bay house in terrace with 1st floor windows breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads. Squared red sandstone, ashlar dressings; stone mullions, chamfered arrises.
S ELEVATION: 3 bays to right with door at centre, fanlight and panel above (dated 1906, initialled JB); small 1st floor window breaking eaves in semi-circular dormerhead; single windows to each floor in bay to left, bipartites in bay to right. 2 bays to left with elliptical carriage arch to pend, flanked by window to right, and with 1st floor window. Additions at rear.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Mutual gable stacks, 1 yellow brick, 2 red brick. Ashlar coped skews. Bracketted skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative brackets.
INTERIOR: simple Edwardian interior. Etched glazing to inner 2-leaf lobby door. Geometric tiles to floor of lobby. Timber boarding to dado height in passage and public bar area.. Access to public bar by sliding door; hatch to bar originally for off-sales. Public bar retaining decor of 1906 refurbishment, panelled pine bar with fluted quasi-consoles; simple gantry with mirrors. Iron mechanism for lifting beer barrels in rear room, originally the storage area.
This building makes an important contribution to the village of Ancrum, together with its terraced neighbours (Green View, Greenmount and South View, listed separately), which enclose the village green to the north. It has good simple details and the red sandstone façade harmonises well with the sandstone dressings of South View to the E. As an increasingly rare example of an unpretentious public house, it has some historic importance.
The history of this building goes back at least to the early 19th century when the inn and dwelling house on this site were disponed to John Smith, joiner, as creditor of the late George Gray merchant, Hawick, and his daughter, Jane Gray, 31 May and 21 June 1814. The building retains its early footprint with the carriage pend to the left and stable area to the rear. The first edition Ordnance Survey map shows three smithies in close proximity to the inn indicating that there were a significant number of horses passing through the village in the mid-19th century. The Jedburgh Brewery was responsible for the rebuilding of 1906 (the initials appear on the façade). It later passed into the hands of the Coldstream Brewery and from 1943 to 1983 it was owned by Vaux.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland notes that there were six inns in the parish in 1837, two in the village, of which this is likely to have been one.
List description updated as part of the Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings