History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Skibo Castle and Garden Terraces, Walled Garden and Glasshouses

A Category A Listed Building in Dornoch, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.8743 / 57°52'27"N

Longitude: -4.1334 / 4°8'0"W

OS Eastings: 273560

OS Northings: 889200

OS Grid: NH735892

Mapcode National: GBR J75X.F9X

Mapcode Global: WH4DL.GBXT

Entry Name: Skibo Castle and Garden Terraces, Walled Garden and Glasshouses

Listing Date: 18 March 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330964

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB597

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dornoch

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton

Parish: Dornoch

Traditional County: Sutherland

Find accommodation in
Edderton

Description

Dated 1900. Ross Macbeth. Very large Scottish Baronial castellated mansion incorporating earlier house. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings. Asymmetrical, 4 and 5 storeys, long composite south and west facades opening to terrace. Principal entrance in east elevation with imposing porte cochere. Bowed and canted bay windows, some single storey, some full height; square and round towers and turrets, crenellation, crowsteps and fanciful decorative detailing in Scots idiom including plant forms and animals. Mullioned and transomed windows, corbelled angle turrets. Plainer wings to rear enclosing service court with built-in garages.

Interior; ornate interior including baronial hall and library.

Gardens and terrace; Thomas Mawson, 1904. Terraces in front of and descending from house with stone balustraded and ball finialled steps; sundial at head of eastern steps. Walled garden; walled garden to east of mansion with lean-to glasshouses and polygonal end tower.

Glasshouses; large range of early 20th century glasshouses to north of

castle with thistle motif cast-iron ridge cresting and decorative finials.

Statement of Interest

Site of medieval castle belonging to Diocese of Caithness until 1565. Subsequent castellated building included as core to present mansion.

Purchased by Andrew Carnegie about 1898, and enlarged by him. For Gate Lodge and Piers, see Creich Parish list. Sold by Mrs Carnegie Mille in 1982.

Up-graded from Category B to A 4 March 2003.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.