History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bonkle, 3, 5 and 7 Allanton Road

A Category C Listed Building in Cambusnethan, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7924 / 55°47'32"N

Longitude: -3.858 / 3°51'28"W

OS Eastings: 283602

OS Northings: 657022

OS Grid: NS836570

Mapcode National: GBR 11HG.KD

Mapcode Global: WH4QS.QN1T

Entry Name: Bonkle, 3, 5 and 7 Allanton Road

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331047

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB666

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cambusnethan

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Fortissat

Parish: Cambusnethan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Cleland

Description

1815-17, dated 1817. Single storey, 7-bay, terrace with classical details. 2 pedimented entrance bays with oculi to tympanum. Squared sandstone coursers with ashlar. Bipartite windows with stone mullions, projecting cills, cavetto moulded cornice.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 7-bay, regular fenestration. 2nd bay from left and 3rd bay from right both with coped pediment, door to centre, blind relieving arch, and oculus in tympanum. Date 1817 above door 3rd bay from right.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay with chimney stack to centre bay; entire rear obscured by modern additions.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window with stone pentice canopy, small window to right. Modern addition with entrance to No 7 to right.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater good. Cavetto moulded coping to ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Known as Waterloo Cottages, the terrace was built as estate workers' housing for the Allanton estate and nearby Allanton House. They were the first cottages to be built on Allanton Road when it was formed o replace the old Edinburgh-Ayr toll road, flooded to form Allanton Loch, part of the Stewarts of Allanton's great estate improvement programme 1800-1820.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.