This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7638 / 55°45'49"N
Longitude: -3.9656 / 3°57'56"W
OS Eastings: 276767
OS Northings: 654025
OS Grid: NS767540
Mapcode National: GBR 01RS.8N
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.1DX6
Entry Name: Wishaw, Netherton, Kirkhill Road, St Michael's Graveyard, Belhaven and Stenton Mausoleum
Listing Date: 21 June 1982
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331054
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB672
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably David Rhind of Edinburgh, 1869. 3-stage, rectangular-plan, tall Roman style, sarcophagus mausoleum, aligned E-W. Segmental pediment enclosing deeply carved arms to coffered barrel-vaulted, fish-scale tiled roof. Polished ashlar yellow sandstone. Tall pedestal and roll-moulded plinth, plain rectangular 2nd stage, full Corinthian order entablature with husk garlands to frieze.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved, rectangular inscribed panel to 2nd stage, reads: HERE REST ROBERT MORTIMER LORD BELHAVEN AND STENTON BARON HAMILTON OF WISHAW K.T. LORD LIEUTENANT OF LANARKSHIRE FORTY YEARS CONVENER OF THE COUNTY TWENTY SEVEN YEARS LORD HIGH COMMISSIONER TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLEY OF THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND BORN AD MDCCXCIII  DIED MDCCCLXVIII . Lion masks to cymatium, acroterion masks to corners.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: mirror of N except panel dedicated to Lady Belhaven, buried 1873.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: architraved ventilator panel to 2nd stage, carving to tympanum, view obscured by trees.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: architraved and pedimented doorway (walled-in) to centre; architraved inscribed panel to 2nd stage, reads: BLESSED ARE THE DEAD WHO DIE IN THE LORD THAT THEY MAY REST FROM THEIR LABOURS AND THEIR WORKS DO FOLLOW THEM BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART FOR THEY SHALL SEE GOD. Lion and Unicorn supporting coat-of-arms to tympanum.
Almost identical to the Miller Mausoleum, Craigentinny Crescent, Edinburgh, 1848, by David Rhind. On the site of the Mediaeval Cambusnethan Parish church and graveyard.
Other nearby listed buildings