History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Preston Hall Policies, North Gate

A Category A Listed Building in Midlothian East, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8938 / 55°53'37"N

Longitude: -2.9565 / 2°57'23"W

OS Eastings: 340277

OS Northings: 667156

OS Grid: NT402671

Mapcode National: GBR 70S9.Q2

Mapcode Global: WH7V7.K4B1

Entry Name: Preston Hall Policies, North Gate

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331153

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB745

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cranston

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian East

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Tranent

Description

Circa 1740. Pair of square pilastered gatepiers with urns surmounting and later ornamental wrought-iron gates. Coursed rubble with dressed sandstone ashlar dressings.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: moulded base course, alternate reeded pilasters with polished ashlar banding, projecting architraved neck course with ovolo moulding and egg and dart mouldings to cornice, large stone urn with foliate detailing surmounting.

SE & NW ELEVATION: architraved base course, alternate banding with no ornamentation.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: as NE elevation with less definition and ornamentation.

GATES: segmental-arched framework containing pair of open ironwork gates with oval detail flanked by curled brackets to each centre, and spear tops to dogbars. Ornamental overthrow: large oval flanked by pair of inter-twining curved brackets, further curved brackets with foliate detail and leaf finial surmounting central oval.

Statement of Interest

Part of an A-Group with Preston Hall, Stables, Lion's Gate and Gazebos. Likely to have been one of the entrances for Prestonhall House. A house had been built here in 1700 by Roderick Mackenzie and remodelled in c.1740 by William Adam. It was in a state of disrepair and demolished to make way for Mitchell's design, circa 1790. These gatepiers are older than the other estate buildings, most of which were designed by Mitchell in about 1795. Later, another house (Briery Bank) was sited to the north of Preston Hall and can be clearly seen on the estate plans of 1806. It was large with formal gardens and adjacent buildings and it is likely that this older entrance was utilised as a drive from Briery Bank as a drive leads from the estate, exiting around where this gateway is sited. The gateway now stands alone in woodland adjacent to the B6367.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.