History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crichton House, East and West Wings

A Category A Listed Building in Crichton, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8517 / 55°51'6"N

Longitude: -2.9594 / 2°57'33"W

OS Eastings: 340035

OS Northings: 662476

OS Grid: NT400624

Mapcode National: GBR 70SS.34

Mapcode Global: WH7VF.J50T

Entry Name: Crichton House, East and West Wings

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331168

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB757

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Crichton

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian East

Parish: Crichton

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Humbie

Description

Circa 1650. 3-storey L-plan laird's house with 18th century 2?-storey wing to W. Octagonal turnpike stair in re-entrant angle. Rubble, harled and painted white. Flush window margins; crowstepped gables.

EAST WING (ORIGINAL HOUSE):

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: octagonal stair in re-entrant angle: roll-moulded and corniced Renaissance entrance doorway to ground floor, small window to left, plain inset stone plaque above door, small windows to mid-floor upper 3-storeys; octagonal slate roof, finial surmounting; 3-storey single bay to each flank; symmetrical 2nd and 3rd storey 2-bay fenestration to right return; coursed sandstone stack, neck cope, 3 plain cans. Modern single storey addition (adjoining West Wing): double doors to centre, window to flanks; window and door to right return; slate roof.

NE ELEVATION: blind aperture to ground floor left, window to 2nd and 3rd storey left, small blind window to left gablehead, SE (REAR) ELEVATION: regular 4-bay fenestration; door to 2nd right bay, ground floor.

SW ELEVATION: ground floor adjoining newer W wing; windows to 2nd and 3rd storey.

WEST WING (18th CENTURY WING):

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door to second bay left; single windows flanking, regular 4-bay fenestration to 1st floor; small round stair turret in re-entrant angle, window to mid-storey, capped slate roof; single storey extension adjoining left, entrance door, window to left, lean-to slate roof; adjoining stone boundary wall creating courtyard to front, double entrance gates.

SW ELEVATION: plain stone skewed gable end, irregular 2?-storey fenestration, stone chimney-stack, pair of cans.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay regular fenestration, door between ground floor right bays; chimney-stack to centre, stone neck cope, three cans.

NE ELEVATION: adjoining older house, now East Wing.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to front, 6-pane to stair turret, 4-pane and 9-pane to East Wing rear. Grey slate roof; octagonal slated roof to turret. Crowstepped gable, coursed stone chimney piece, neck cope, three plain cans. Replacement cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: modernised interior to both wings, although some original fireplaces to 3rd storey East Wing.

Statement of Interest

Superseded Crichton Castle as seat of the Lairds of Crichton. The house is well documented as having a formal garden by 1729. It was laid out in the French style by James Justice who wrote the Scots Gardiners Directory, 1754. A pineapple stove was designed by Richard Cooper and the house is known to have had well wooded grounds. The house passed to the Callanders of Westerton, Stirlingshire, 1792. It was the residence of William Burn Callender, Esq who eventually moved the family to the new seat of Preston Hall, Cranston. One of the roads used to approach the house is called the Laird's Entry and refers to the entrance used by the owner and important visitors. The house was used as a farmhouse for many years, but because of its size not all of the rooms were used. Many windows were in-filled, but it has now been remodelled by John Gibbons (Architect) and split into two dwelling houses. Ancillary buildings have been turned into garages.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.