This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9093 / 55°54'33"N
Longitude: -2.9744 / 2°58'27"W
OS Eastings: 339186
OS Northings: 668894
OS Grid: NT391688
Mapcode National: GBR 70N3.VJ
Mapcode Global: WH7V1.8QWQ
Entry Name: Cousland Park, Including Former Orchard to Sw
Listing Date: 14 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331194
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB774
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Later 18th century. 2-storey on laigh floor, 3-bay rectangular Georgian house. Coursed rubble with dressed ashlar long and short quoins, cills, lintels and band course. Skew gabled.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: basement: window to left and right, band course above; 7 ashlar steps (quarter circle shaped below), with metal handrails leading to central projecting porch on ground floor: squared ashlar with engaged Tuscan columns supporting architraved projecting pediment; 2-leaf door with astragaled glazed fanlight above; tripartite window with stone mullions and projecting cill to each flank; central window with projecting cill to 1st floor centre, tripartite window with stone mullions and projecting cill to each flank.
E ELEVATION: skewed gable-end with lowered gablehead stack; irregular fenestration: small basement windows; blind window to ground floor left, lower entrance to right accessed by steps with metal railings; window to mid-floor level above, smaller window to centre of gable.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 main bays to ground floor with 2 smaller windows between central and left bay, adjoining rubble outbuilding / garage below central and right bay; 3-bay to 1st floor: blind tripartite window to left, single windows to centre and right bays with canless wallhead stack between.
W ELEVATION: skewed gable-end with lowered stack, small window to left of attic storey.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to most, some elongated 4-pane windows, small 8-pane window to rear. Pitched slate roof with Carron light to rear. Replacement metal rainwater goods. Lowered stacks with replacement cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
FORMER ORCHARD: crescented former orchard to SW. Tall coursed sandstone rubble walls with flat sandstone copes. Concave curve to SW elevation, convex to NE. Doorways to SW and N elevations in plain surrounds with sandstone lintels. Some sections in poor state of repair (2009).
Part of a much larger village that was, for centuries, a well-known lime-producing centre. The older parts of Cousland village have largely disappeared, with newer modern houses replacing the older structures. Sited outside of the village to the east, this was probably the seat of Sir John Dalrymple of Cousland and Upper Cranston (1726-1810). He married his cousin Elizabeth, the only child and heiress of Thomas Hamilton of Fala and Oxenford in 1760. He succeeded as fourth Baronet of Cousland in 1771. She inherited Nether Cranston, the area now containing Oxenfoord Home Farm, Edgehead, and Sauchenside, which was the site of her old family home, Oxenfoord Castle, in 1779. They then moved there after the death of her father and upgraded and extended the old castle.
The orchard is an important integral part of the estate and its unusual crescented shape marks it out as notable.
Other nearby listed buildings