This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8654 / 55°51'55"N
Longitude: -3.0912 / 3°5'28"W
OS Eastings: 331805
OS Northings: 664122
OS Grid: NT318641
Mapcode National: GBR 60VM.K7
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.HT7V
Entry Name: The Glebe House (Former Cockpen Manse), Including Stable Block
Listing Date: 14 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331207
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB781
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bonnyrigg
Traditional County: Midlothian
1816. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, T-plan former manse with additions and alterations in 1875 possibly by Peddie and Kinnear, further repairs and alterations in 1911 by James McLachlan. Coursed, tooled pink sandstone with droved dressings. Base course; projecting cills; eaves course; long and short quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; architraved doorway to centre with panelled timber door; window to each flanking bay. Regular fenestration to 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay; gabled bay advanced to left with window centre of ground floor; windows to ground and 1st floors of right return. Centre and right bays recessed; window to ground floor of centre bay; bipartite windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to right; gabled dormer to attic floor.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; advanced gabled bay to left with single window set in gablehead; glazed timber door to ground floor of right return, window to 1st floor; window to ground and 1st floors of bay to centre; lean-to at bay to right with single window to ground floor.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; lean-to to ground floor obscured by late 20th century conservatory addition; remainder blank.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Droved, coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
STABLE BLOCK: U-plan tooled rubble stable block to NW of house with droved dressings. 3 large boarded timber doors to centre 3 bays; bays to outer left and right advanced; barred window opening to outer left surmounted by ledge and 3 flight holes, doorway to right return; broad 2-leaf boarded timber door to outer right, window opening above; door to left return. Piended grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, lead ridge and modern skylights.
There were a great many repairs to The Glebe House in 1911 following mineral mining underneath it which caused subsidence. In spite of this the former manse survives a well proportioned building essentially in its original form. According to the Heritor's Records repairs to the manse were also carried out in 1875. The accounts mention Peddie and Kinnear, who also carried out work on Cockpen Parish Church (see separate listing) a few yeas later, however the extent of their work is not detailed.
Other nearby listed buildings